Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Danell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2008, 09:18 PM
    Contract for Deed w/mortage on property
    I currently own a home in Tampa, FL. I have a mortgage on the property. Can I legally sell the house on a "Contract for Deed" if I still have a mortgage on the property? We would like to sell quickly and think that offering this option would get us a buyer quickly.
    pacific nw Posts: 117, Reputation: 11
    -

May 28, 2008, 08:51 PM
    Yes an no.

Read your Deed and see if there is a "Due on Sale" clause. It threre is one, almost all have that clause since the 1970's, then you'd want to check with your lender to see if they would allow a Contract for Deed or "wrap around" as it is sometimes called. The lender may want to qualify the buyer for the loan and transfer it to them.

An alternative might be to do a "rent with option to buy" where after someone can show that they have made 12 months of payments on time to you, and you have paid the mortgage on time to the lender, the lender may allow them to assume the loan or another lender may do financing for the property.

A good Real Estate Attorney can explain the various options to you and how to protect your interests. There are definite risks in each option.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Three names on a mortage-deed [ 1 Answers ]

I currently own a home with two other relatives. We just paid our last mortgage payment three months ago. Can I take out a 2nd mortgage on my 1/3 of the house?

Mortgage contract between two people [ 2 Answers ]

I would to ask how do I get out of a mortgage contract on a house I purchased with someone else?

How to reclaim property sold with Kansas Contract for Deed [ 2 Answers ]

I sold a house using Kansas Contract for Deed. The buyer is several payments behind. I have paid taxes because buyer fail to do so. How do I reclaim this property?

Selling an investment property contract for deed [ 2 Answers ]

One of my tenants asked me if I would be interested in selling the my investment property on a contract for deed basis. I don't have any specifics yet. My questions are what are the pros and cons of selling the property this way? What risks do I bare as the seller? What do I need to ensure is...

Name on mortgage but not on deed [ 2 Answers ]

I have been divorced for over a year now and in the divorce decree I had to sign the deed of the house over to my ex but my name is still on the mortgage. He is responsible for house payments and all taxes. The house was purchased on an upside-down baloon payment which means every ten years the...

View more questions Search