Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sbrigham Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2008, 07:34 AM
    Toilet tank doesn't fill all the way to top
    Hi, this is my first question. Thanks in advance.

We have a 3 year old house. One of our toilets has a problem. When it is flushed, it flushes everything down. The problem is when the tank is filling back up. It continues to run and run without shutting off until the lever is pulled up manually. If not pulled up manually it will continue to make the filling up sound (and I'm presuming, wasting precious water).

I'm quite certain there's a certain and easy solution to this, but we haven't figured it out yet.

Steve
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 25, 2008, 08:11 AM
    Hi Steve,

Shut the water off to the toilet and remove the three screws and pull the float ball and stem assembly up. Pry the washer out and reverse it. Now turn the water back on to flush out the supply and ballcock. Before you reassemble check the seat for nicks or rough spots. If you find any the ballcock must be replaced. Let me show you how to make tank adjustments. Check the tank water level, it should be at the mark in the tank or 3/8 to 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. Now look at the flapper, If it has wavey edges on the flat surface, replace it. The linkage between the flapper and the flush lever should have 1/4" play when the tank is filled. Also, check the small tube coming out of the top of the ballcock and make sure it's connect to and draining into the white overflow tube. More questions? I'm as close as a click. TOM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank will not fill with water [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, When flushing the toilet, the bowl is full with water but the tanks is empty. When releasing the lever to flush the toilet neither the water in the bowl is released or does the tank fill with water, can you please advise what is causing this and how I can fix this trouble bymyself. ...

Toilet tank doesn't fill up all the way [ 1 Answers ]

Toilet tank does not fill up to it's capacity, which does not flush all the waste down. Have to flush two and three times before it's gone. Please help, I'm wasting gals. Of water all day every day

Toilet tank won't fill up [ 1 Answers ]

Our toilet just started this problem. When you manually fill the tank it flushes with no problem. But then the tank won't refill on its own. It has always been a slow filling tank, but now doesn't fill back up at all. I have also tried adjusting the water supply valve but it still doesn't help the...

Toilet Tank will not fill with water [ 3 Answers ]

My toilet tank does not fill back up with water after I flush it. I turned off the valve, disconnected the hose, and turned the valve back on to see if there might be a clog, but there was none. Also, there is a trickling dripping noise coming from inside the tank, but there is now water leaking...

Toilet tank willnot fill [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks to two kids, the toilet was clogged. We used a plunger to unclog the toilet, but the tank emptied and willnot fill up with water. Any ideas?:eek:

View more questions Search