Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tahoessblue Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2008, 09:52 PM
    What is the role of ammino acids, fatty acids, carbs, and fiber in our diet?
    Need some better ideas?
    myglo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2008, 05:06 AM
    Amino Acids:- These are used to make proteins like muscle enzymes etc

Fatty acids:- Used for quite a lot, they are used to insulate the body when they are stored in the fat cells, they are also used to make hormones, and when the body is short of carbs they are broken down to raise the blood sugar level. Also the nerve cells in your brain have a cell wrapped around then to speed up nerve impulses, this cell contains fatty acids such as omega 3 which is why they say fish makes you smarter etc because it speeds up your nerve impulses

Carbs:- They are used as our (sort of) immediate form of energy. They are broken down via respiration. Firstly in the cytoplasm of our cells the 6c glucose is converted into two 3c pytrvare molecules (called glycolosis) these pyruvate molecules then enter the Krebs Cycle and a series of reactions follows (see image below). The nadh fadh2 are then converted into ATP. Approx 1 glucose molecule produces enough enery to synthesise 38 ATP molecules.
    ATP is the immediate form of energy. Because cells are so small they need something that provides a bit of energy for the things the need because if they broke down the glucose direct enough energy would be iven out to kill the cell, so ATP is used. ATP is used in everything, absorbing some nutrients, moving muscles etc.

Fiber is something that humans cannot digest so all that does is give your digestive system a work out and help to keep you regular :)
    myglo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2008, 05:11 AM
    (immage to big to upload url http://library.thinkquest.org/C00453...kreb_cycle.gif)

Do this instead then, CB.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acids and bases [ 3 Answers ]

You and a friend are having dinner at a restaurant. You order strong, hot tea with lemon, and your friend orders plain hot tea. When your drinks arrive, the waiter apologetically informs you that he has already put the lemon into one of the teapots. He realized his mistake, and took it out, but now...

NO2 and amino acids [ 1 Answers ]

The names lenny been taking no2 for a while now but just can seem to get the answer I want. When taking no2 should I be taking amino acid 1000 s too. If anyone can help me out here id really appriciate it. Thanks

Fatty acids, omega etc. [ 7 Answers ]

Can someone please explain to me the difference/connection between essential fatty acids, omega 3 and 6, gamma linolenic acid, linoleic acid, poly- and mono-unsaturates - the more I read the more I am confused. Thank you!

View more questions Search