Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gmanv1 Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Feb 28, 2006, 02:53 PM
    Family (ME in the middle) Breakup
    I think the year was 1999 I live with my mum and step dad and at the time next door to my nan and grandad (mums side) it all happened so fast mum was out one night I was at nans, she got back 30 minits late and forgote to pick something up for a funral the next day anyway my nan went totally completley 'nuts' it was another side of her I have never seen, she and my grandad were all at my mums throat all night, my mum was distraut we went home and my step dad went to have words but that was allso unsucssesfull months went buy with changes soooo noticble like my nan worked at my school and she soon stopped saying high as we walked past each blatlently ignoring me, another my birthday and my mums and dads she stopped sending cards. But this was just the beginning...

This is the part that hurt her the most
    My mum had three brothers and a sister (very close to sister) and some how my nan had turned them against us, as to say she controles everyone or something. Of corse my mum was so up set words can't describe. Its not so much me and my nan its more my mum and my nan because over time I have realised life is way to short now 7 years have passed we moved they soon moved and still nothing, my mum is still emotionally destraut deep inside she gets so up set I don't no what to do but I want to do something before its too late if you no what I mean... god forbid... what do I do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 28, 2006, 04:22 PM
    You did not mention how old your Nan is. I know with my own father, after he got to be about 78, he was no longer hisself. I had never known him ever to yell, he never cursed even if he hit his finger with a hammer.
    At 78, he just changed, he would curse anyone, and even no one at times.
    He would yell or just ingnore you.

But for it, don't take sides, love everyone and just be there if they come to you.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2006, 08:58 AM
    HI,
    There probably isn't anything you can do.
    They will have to work out problems between each other themselves, if they ever decide to do that!
    Some families are the same as yours; with constant fighting, disliking each other, and it's a way of life for them.
    Just do the best you can, and as stated before, don't take sides; otherwise, you will wind up just like them!
    I do wish you the best of luck.
    Gmanv1 Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2006, 12:33 PM
    My family have never been one to fight I wouldn't NO WAY SAY where the type of family that goes on trisha smokes drinks nothing like that in my eyes were just normal... my nan is getting old say around 76 something like that (I never was any good at remembering Bdays and ages) they live a very old fashioned life style of everyone should respect them and that's that my grandad gambles a lot. Nan is quiet stays in the kitchen most time watches TV in kitchen while grandad sits watching racing in HIS! Chair and NO bodyelses that sort of old fashioned
    momincali Posts: 641, Reputation: 242

Mar 1, 2006, 01:51 PM
    It's pretty sad to hear about a family breaking up for whatever reason. I know you feel very badly about the situation between your mom and your grandmother, I know I would. What you need to realize is that this is pretty much out of your control. Whatever happened, happened between THEM. They are grown adults and should have handled things in a more mature manner as to not upset or involve the children, the fact that they kind of made this your problem is hideous. If you have no ill feelings toward your grandparents and they towards you, then call, drop by and visit with them. If they bring up negative conversation about your mom, respectfully let them know that you will not sit around and listen to them speak poorly of her. If they want a relationship with you, they will abide by your rules. Have the same conversation with your mom. Don't let her gossip or put down your grandparents. This keeps you out of it and will allow you to enjoy the time you do spend with them instead of dreading it. It wasn't your fault and it's not your problem, any guilt would be inappropriate. Don't try to change things you can't control. You're a family member, not a referee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blended family means family to me, should it not to my husband as well? [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I just really need to know if I am way off base here. Last night my husband told me that"you need to understand how it is going to be between my daughter and myself." " when it comes to special events, even if they conflict with your boys(his stepsons) and in the future if we have children of...

Bleeding and cramps in middle of month. [ 5 Answers ]

I have been on birth control pills for about 3 years now. Im 20 years old. Last year, I had a miscarriage, even though I took my pill daily and at the same time, and 99% of the time, we use a condom, which makes me think either me or my partner are extremely fertile. My period is not due for...

Shower drain sticking up in middle [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, My shower drain seems to be on a "mountain" - i.e. instead of the pan sloping TOWARD the drain, it slopes AWAY from the drain. Attached is a photo of the shower. In the interest of science, I took an 11-quart pan filled with water, put in some blue food coloring, and poured it into the...

Caught in the middle [ 1 Answers ]

About a month a go I went to a used car dealer and bought a car. In the state of New Hampshire you have to get the car inspected. I went and got it inspected and my mechanic passed it. Well just today while driving my right control wheel broke and thank god I wasn't hurt. I called aaa and had them...

View more questions Search