Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    John Mason Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2008, 04:15 AM
    12 gauge wire to a 15 amp breaker
    I am selling my home and the inspector noted three 15 amp breakers with 12 ga wire. He flagged it as something to be checked by an electrician. Is this an unsafe situation? The buyer is concerned. How much of a concern should this be? If it is not unsafe, what is the explanation for why is should not be a concern?

Thanks for your help.

John
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2008, 11:25 AM
    I would not think it to be dangerous, as 12 gauge wire is able to safely carry 20 amps.
    You can use a 14 gauge wire for 15 amps.

Since the whole purpose of a circuit breaker is to be the weak link in the electrical chain, and to trip before the wire can overheat, having too heavy a wire would not be a safety issue.

The only issue might be with building/electrical code, but electrically I think this would be safe.

Hope this helps,
    WallyH
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 24, 2008, 12:20 PM
    15 amp breakers with 12 AWG wire is not a problem.

If they are connected to 20A receptacles, I'd change one or the other to match
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

May 25, 2008, 02:44 PM
    I agree it shouldn't be a problem, yet I wouldn't jump to install a 20A breaker, because we have no idea if the original installer installed 14AWG on that circuit.

Meaning: They may have mixed the wire sizes for some odd reason
    robomaniac Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2008, 04:25 AM
    Here is Canada

15Amp are for lights, switchs etc. It is call 14/2 and the wire is white.
    The 12/2 red wire is dedicated to electric heating and 220V goes through it.

14 Gauge need to be use with 15Amp breaker
    12 Gauge with a 20Amp breaker ( under 20 Amp)

In your case you have a 12Gauge wire connected to a 15Amp breaker.

The wire can take 20Amp but not the breaker, the breaker will trip if you surpass 15A. You are safe.

If you had a 14Gauge with a 20Amp breaker that won't work!

If there is a problem with the load (ie motor overheating ) the amp will rise to maybe 18Amp. The 20Amp breaker will see nothing since it trip over 20Amp and the wire might melt because it is rated to 15Amp and you 18Amp going in it.

the rest is more info

Let take a 4800W garage heater.

Watts / Voltage = Amps

4800W / 220V = 21.8 Amp

So this mean

12 Gauge is for under 4800W
    10 Gauge is for 4800W and + heater
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2008, 07:46 AM
    Inspector was hard up to find something to justify his bill. Get a licensed electrician (prob better to let the buyer pick an electrician) to evaluate the situation and do what he recommends. Can you remove the 12 ga wire from the 15A breaker, splice a short piece of 14 ga to it and then connect the 14 ga to the 15A breaker (if OK with the electrician)?
    This is nitpicking but if it is necessary to satisfy the buyer you don't have much choice.
    rudy cruz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 08:08 PM
    15 Amp. Breaker needs 14AWG wire, nothing in the code book prohibit you from using a large wire gauge. There is nothing unsafe with using 12AWG wire as long it is done properly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

12 gauge Wire Used w/ 14 gauge Outlet [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have a fairly new home I purchased. I am changing my outlets as I am painting the rooms (Laundry Room) and noticed that the previous home owner put in a laundry board (built in) and wired to the nearest outlet on the wall. They used 12 gauge wire to the outlet (from the built in iron...

Failed gass gauge and temperature gauge on 1988 Nissan Pathfinder [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1988 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4. The gas gauge and the temperature gauge would stop working at the same time when the car warmed up. They both would come back on periodically and then off again. Currently they have not come back on in about 3 months. How do I fix this problem?

What is the cable/wire gauge (product name) for installing 200 Amp Service Entrance [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a new service entrance to upgrade my home electrical service to 200 amps. 1 Please tell me what gage wire is required from the meter to the weather-head? The service panel with main breaker is inside the laundry room 25 feet from the outdoor meter loop. I will run the...

Trying to wire new breaker [ 5 Answers ]

We are trying to wire a 60 amp breaker into a breaker box that has no other breakers in but does have power. The breaker is for a 12/3 220 wire for an a/c unit. We hooked up all wires but a/c is not getting power. We need to make sure that all wires are connected properly. Thanks

View more questions Search