Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    YungJay2008 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 10:22 PM
    Emancipation in North Dakota
    If I am a parent at 17 and can support myself and my family (my son and fiance) can I get emacipated and receive legal aid (housing) in the state of North Dakota?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 23, 2008, 07:33 AM
    You will be automatically emancipated at age 18 - North Dakota law says a person is emancipated when he/she turns 18 or if child is in high school or graduates from high school, whichever is first."

Being a parent is not a reason for emancipation.

You would have to go to Family Court and ask to be emancipated.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 23, 2008, 01:37 PM
    Yes you can, you will need to hire an attorney, the process should take 5 to 9 months though hearings. Depending on how hard your parents fight the issue.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Isn't the fact that the OP will need state financial assistance to afford a spot to live proof that she can't support herself and her family, which is one of the requirements for emancipation?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Froggy has a good point. He mentioned that they would need assitance for housing. Even in the states that do have emancipation laws all of them that I know of say that they have to be able to support themselves. The other issue I see is that it takes a few months to be emancipated if the op is already 17 he might be 18 by the time all the paperwork is finished.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 23, 2008, 05:17 PM
    Yes, if they can not pay for the housing, and pay for the food and the elecric, using government ast will not be considered being able to dothat.

Also as my point, now, they will be 18 long before the case could make it though the courts anyway
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 23, 2008, 06:06 PM
    Another thing is that as soon as OP goes on State Aid then her fiancé will be liable for child support as they aren't married.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2008, 06:28 PM
    Calif is right too. I actually know a couple that aren't married but had a kid they lived together though and he still had to pay support. I just now remembered that because it has been a few years since I've spoken with them. The reason he was given for having to pay support even though they were living together was she applied for government health care and food stamps and the judge said it would be in his best interest to pay it (even though it went back into the same household income) because if they were to break up he wouldn't be held responsible for back support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

North Dakota Humor [ 1 Answers ]

Is That Mule For Sale? Germans Farmers in South Russia had a settled communal village life. There was a distinct sociality with relatives and friends, with regular church celebrations, weddings, and funerals. But when members of this ethinic groups immigrated to North Dakota, and were...

89 Dodge Dakota [ 5 Answers ]

3.9 89 Dodge Dakota usually starts well but may stall and be difficult to restart. Have replaced coil and spark plug wires also disconnected EGR valve. The problem is it dies while idling. Any ideas on how to stop this from happening?

Dakota won't start [ 1 Answers ]

My 1993 dodge dakota 5.2 FI has no fire and no fuel. Can make make the fuel work manually and have replaced pickup coil. Could the computer control both of these or??

89 dodge dakota [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dakota 2.5 liter that is running very rough, it sounds like it is misfiring, I replaced the distributor and rotor, it is better but is still popping. Any advice would be very helpful.

North Dakota [ 1 Answers ]

I'm writing a book that takes place in North Dakota, near Bismarck. Any information about the area would be helpful, like the landscape, climate, and especially the dialect... What kind of accent do people there have, and what slang do they use, etc. Thanks!

View more questions Search