Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    agrawalyogesh Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2006, 11:46 PM
    Regarding H1b employment
    Hi,
    I have a question that if a person is employed on H1-B visa, can he have a misc income, that is either from work from home kind of job where you get a 1099 form, is it legal to do this kind of work and earn side income apart from your H1-B employment. In this case when you file return apart from submitting W2, do we have to submit the 1040 form also.

Thanks in advance let me know the answer for this.

Thanks,
    Yogesh
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 28, 2006, 09:45 AM
    Yogesh:

This is really a legal question which should be answered by an immigration attorney.

From other postings, it is my impression that you should only be getting income from your sponsoring employer.

However, the IRS is not the enforcement agency here, and if you have a Form 1099-MISC, you must report the income on the same tax return where you report your W-2 income. You will get into trouble with the IRS if you fail to report the Form 1099-MISC income.

Mar 1, 2006, 11:03 AM
    Thanks for your reply... But still my question is open how, isn't it... as I asked earlier is it legal to have or not 1099 misc with w2?
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2006, 04:50 PM
    As far as I know, you should not work for someone other than your sponsoring employer.

That said, you must claim the income reported on the Form 1099-MISC. The IRS knows you made this money, and they will look for it on your tax return.

Mar 1, 2006, 06:58 PM
    Ok. Thanks for the info
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2006, 09:45 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paranormal Employment [ 30 Answers ]

;) Hi! I was wondering, is there any "paranormal jobs" here in western Michigan available? I mean working in the paranoramal/investigative field that you can get involved in as a job?

F1 and self-employment [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I am on F-1 visa and want to sell jewelry made by me, just couple of samples. I found a site, some News letter for international student (//infohost.nmt.edu/~stuaffs/Intl/Newsletters/May2003.pdf), where they say self-employment is illegal for F-1. Though I remember I saw somewhere info that...

Termination of At Will Employment [ 3 Answers ]

If an at will employee is terminated by their employer for cause and investigation finds that there is no evidence to support the claim, can that employee then sue the employer for wrongful termination given that the employer could not supply evidence to show just cause?

Employment [ 1 Answers ]

How do organization ensure that they are hiring the best people and putting them into the right position?

Employment [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Will I Find Employment Soon? My Birthday Is 4/28/49. Thank You, Sharon

View more questions Search