Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyinHawaii Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 02:17 PM
    Trouble removing tub faucet cartridge
    I am attempting to remove the cartridge from a Moen bathtub faucet. I have removed everything including the horseshoe clip but am having a great deal of difficulty removing the cartridge itself. I have tried pliers, etc. but it just is not moving. My home is less than three years old, so this fixture is not an old one. Any suggestions on how to remove the cartridge?

Judy in Hawaii
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 22, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Hey Judy:

Moen sells a cartridge puller for exactly this situation! See picture below... ;)

It can be found at all plumbing supply houses (but call ahead to be sure in stock).

Otherwise, you can try to reattach the HANDLE to the cartridge assembly and then give a good YANK on the cartridge. That works most of the time.

And for what it is worth, that is the whole point here... you just need to hold the valve body in one hand and give a good yank on the cartridge... it will come out.

I use a pair of pliers and just YANK IT! You could try vice grips... or again, reattach the handle and give that a try.

Let me know how you make out.. OK? These can be hard to remove, but only because most people don't have the confidence to just give it a good YANK!

Try it out, and if that fails, may be time to order the MOEN cartridge puller.

Did you know MOEN will ship a replacement cartridge to you within 10 business days.. FREE OF CHARGE..? Never hurts to check with them... call 1800BUYMOEN if need any information.

ALSO, check out their website... MOEN Kitchen Faucets, Bathroom Faucets and Bathroom Showers They have an animated tutorial that shows you how to remove and replace the cartridge you are talikng about... ;)

SO there... enough to keep you busy for awhile! Keep me posted... MARK

Attached Images

JudyinHawaii Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 11:29 AM
    Mark,
    Thnaks for the great advice. I actually went down to the local Home Depot and they had the Moen cartridge puller in stock. I did have to give it a hefty tug, but as you said, it did come out. The whole thing, from replacement cartridge to puller, cost me about $60, about 1/6 what a local plumber was going to charge me for parts and labor!

Many thanks,
    Judy
    albert lee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 11:41 AM
    Well my pipes on the wall is making like water is still running (hisss)threw the pipes when I have the water off .I checked the toilet faucet and check for leak,nothing but the nosie is still there,is there an internal leak that I can't see ?and I also check the water meter to see if it was still turning and it was very very slow.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 26, 2008, 12:19 PM
    Albert:

This is a thread on a moen shower valve. Next time try to post your own thread at ASK A QUESTION in plumbing... ok? Makes it easier for others to follow along with us... ;)

Sounds like you are telling me you have a toilet leak...

Tell me if the inside of your toilet looks like top pic. Or bottom pic..

Then I can tell you next steps... Basically need to shut the water supply to toilet and remove/clean the washer at the fill valve.. then replace and test... get back to me... MARK

AND JUDY...thank you for the update. Glad we could help you!!

Mark
    Attached Images

schlegma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2010, 01:43 PM
    I had a problem pulling the cartridge out, but upon opening the replacement Moen cartridge found that they include the tool for taking the old one out. It is just a piece of plastic that slides in the groves of the old cartridge. A simple turn and the old cartridge slides right out.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 16, 2010, 03:59 PM

Hi Schlegma...

Thank you for that info. and I am glad your cartridge came out so easy, but future readers of this thread should know that most cartridges don't come out so easy... why they sell a CARTRIDGE PULLER! See first post above.

Thanks again...

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remove Moen tub faucet cartridge [ 14 Answers ]

Hi folks, I have a single handle Moen tub faucet that I'm trying to do some work on. A little description first. My bathtub faucet is teardrop shaped with the point of the teardrop pointing towards the floor. So when looking at it the writing is actually upside down. So to turn on the water...

Installation of Moen faucet cartridge [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 15 year old Moen bath/shower combination faucet. I had to replace the cartridge due to a leak. Now I cannot get enough water to go to the shower head. When I pull the diverter in the faucet the water pressure seems to be too great for the diverter to work and I get just a dribble of...

Moen cartridge style tub faucet [ 1 Answers ]

My tub faucet was leaking and I replaced the cartridge (took me all day to figure it out!) Now I only get lukewarm water. I've read the other posts on this repair and my faucet (when it worked) used to pull out and you would turn it one way for hot, the other for cold. Inside the handle is one...

View more questions Search