Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bhasu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2006, 10:29 AM
    Tax percent deduction
    Hi,

I have a question regarding the percentage of tax that would be deducted on my monthly pay. I am currently on my OPT and this is my second emplyer.

I am on OPT since Jan, 2006. Is there a fixed percent tax deduction for all OPT candidates? Does it depend on previous tax returns? The only time that I have filled my tax returns was in 2005. I am here in the US since Aug, 2004. I was working at a couple of places since Aug, 2004. I was a G.A in school and I was an intern for close to seven months starting in the summer of 2005 and ending December 2005. During that period I was on F-1 status.

I do not have the figures on how much I earned. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Bhasu
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 27, 2006, 10:41 AM
    Bhasu:

Since you are under the F-1 visa as a student, you should not be paying Social Security (6.2%) or Medicare (1.45%) taxes. Those are flat taxes which are based on the percentages noted.

Income tax is another matter. It is a progressive tax which allows for a certain amount being non-taxable (at least $3,200 and perhaps as much as $8,200), then taxes at 10%, then 15%, then 25%, then 28%, the 33%, then 35%. How much is withheld depends on what you put on the W-4 in terms of how many exemptions you claimed. The more exemptions you claim, the less tax is withheld.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 to H1B - Itemized Deduction/ Standard Deduction? [ 17 Answers ]

Dear all, My status in US changed from F1 to H1B in mid Nov 2004. I was on F1 from Sep 2002-Nov 2004. Will I be able to take the standard deduction ? If so will it be under the US-India treaty? Please help. Regards.

Percent changes [ 2 Answers ]

Can anybody help me out with this? On December 31, 1995, there were an estimated 411 prison inmates per 100,000 U.S. residents. This number rose to an estimated 476 inmates per 100,000 U.S. residents by December 31, 2002. a.What percentage of the U.S. population were prison inmates at the...

Percent increase [ 3 Answers ]

Hi please help me out What is the formula for calculating percentage increases? For example in 2005 we sold 1500 apples in 2006 we sold 8700 apples. How much was the increase in percents? Thanks

Pre-tax deduction [ 3 Answers ]

Hi TA, Is COBRA premium payment eligible for pretax deductions? ML

Standard Deduction Vs itemized Deduction [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian citizen. I as on a F1 status till Oct 18th 2004 and then I got converted to a H1B on Oct 18th 2004. I do not pass the standard presence test. Correct me if I am wrong, but I guess I have been able to determine that I am a Non Resident Alien and not a dual-status nonresident...

View more questions Search