Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    batgirl2009 Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

May 20, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Harold and Maude
    I watched this movie and fell in love with it. Every thing you ever need to know about life is in this movie. Has anyone seen it? Thoughts? I would love to analyze it with some one!!

May 20, 2008, 05:41 PM
    Huh... I'm not so sure if we are talking about the same movie... ha ha
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2008, 06:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by batgirl2009
    huh... i'm not so sure if we are talking about the same movie...ha ha
    I tell you what. I will delete my post and hopefully, others will post with correct information. Sorry! :o

I was thinking about a different movie I guess.

May 20, 2008, 06:26 PM
    No worries!
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2008, 06:26 PM
    huh... i'm not so sure if we are talking about the same movie...ha ha
    Ah oh, I did have the right movie after all. I think I might have thrown you off by mentioning "The Crystal Skulls" documentary. The only reason I mentioned that was the huge age difference in the marriage as is in "Harold and Maude" relationship. I thought I might have been losing my memory for just a moment but after looking online and finding the info on link before, realized you and I are talking about the same movie.

Movie Review for Harold and Maude

May 20, 2008, 06:30 PM
    Not going to lie the whole "Crystal Skulls" comment did throw me off but I could almost see the connection and was waiting for you to bring Harold and Maude back up and you never did. I terribly sorry I over looked that
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2008, 06:40 PM
    No problem. My mind was working backwards! LOL

I enjoyed the movie. It is a little off kelter from the norm and Maude's (Gordon's) voice and delivery are just priceless. I like her in any movie I have ever seen her in. I caught a rerun of Columbo a couple of years ago that had her in it and it was "classic Gordon".

Interestingly enough, at the bottom of the text of the link I sent you, it says:

Latest Moive Reviews:
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I wasn't so far off base, huh?? :) You see how it tied together in my mind? LOL

Did you love the movie (Harold and Maude) and is this the first time you have seen it?

May 20, 2008, 06:45 PM
    Don't we all have those days? LOL! Story of my life!

I enjoyed the movie as well. I hadn't even heard of Ruth Gordon till this movie and she was AMAZING! I will have to see Columbo some time.

I guess you weren't so far off base. I was just slow to pick up on it. I totally see how you tied it together now. Lol!

Yes I loved the movie and it was the first time I had seen it but then a friend of mine threw a Harold and Maude party and we watched it again there and I picked up so much more
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2008, 08:57 PM
    Batgirl, sorry I was so long in getting back to you. I didn't get the notification that their had been a new post. Sometimes the system is just slow to show them.

I will try to watch the movie again but with time constraints, it might be a couple of weeks. It has been so long ago that I saw it, I am sure I cannot visit too intelligently about it at this time.

I just remember thinking if a person is shoved into a form, like the mother tried to do to the boy, how would I respond. I am a bit off the wall at times so it wouldn't be beyond me to do some goofy things... well, not so much now... but when I was still living at home. I also remember thinking that he saw in Maude a free abaondment of what society accepts as the norm and it spoke to his spirit.

I don't think it is so much different these days. So many parents are ignoring their children, chidlren are seeking a feeling of acceptance and love, of not being judged if they have an idea that is not that of their parents.

I remember when I watched the show thinking it was a bit mcabre but then it begins to make sense and touches the heart. I do need to watch it again though. I almost quit watching it but then wanted to see how it ended. It did bring up a lot of issues worthy of discussion.

What did you do at the party besides watch the movie? Was there discussion or just a kick back time of fun?
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2008, 09:14 PM
    Harold and Maude... Wow.

I was first introduced to it by a friend. She told me that no matter how many times she watched it, she would see something new. We have watched it at home many times since I bought it. Both of my girls love it.

My favorite part was when they are walking outdoors. Maude tells Harold that she would like to be a sunflower. He says that he would like to be, "like one of these." Maude picks one of the little white flowers and explains that no, they aren't all the same. "People try to be like that, but they're not!"

It's deep. The soundtrack is great. Just dissecting the lyrics is a lesson.

"Thats good! Go out and love some more."

May 21, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Jrebel, sorry I took so long to respond. I started doing homework and then never got back online to respond to you.

There is obviously no rush for you to see the movie again but whenever you get a moment you totally should.

Harold's mom does try to make him into someone he's not. But she is doing it because she cares. Also the truth of the matter is that Harold doesn't even know who he is. All he does know is that he likes being dead. So it is also necessary for Harold's mom to push him because through that and his interesting (to say the very least) interactions with Maude, he learns truly who he is and more importantly who he wants to become.

I wouldn't say that my parents ignore me because they don't and they love me very much. I just thought I would stress that. But I do feel like today's young generation (including myself) has become so dependent upon praise that when we aren't being constantly assured that we are great then we feel disappointed. I do have idea's that are different from my parents. And I have tried voicing them and it just caused trouble. So I have kind of backed away from that. Once again, my parents are great. I don't want you to get the wrong idea. We just think differently. And it could just be the fact that they are parents and I'm their kid.

The party--- well we played badmitten and ate pizza. Walked to the park and played on the playground throwing water balloons at each other. Then we came back to watch the movie and discussed it afterwards. Then we just kind of "chilled". Yes... it's a technical term. Lol!

May 21, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Simonaugie! The flower comparison is probably my favorite part of the movie as well. So often in this fast paced world people feel like they aren't important and that they are just a mass of conglomerate flowers. Maude put it beautifly. I am amazed how much more I pick up on every time I watch it. It is truly a work of art. I'm just sad that it took me so long to come across it. I had never really thought too much about the lyrics... I will take a look at them.
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2008, 09:31 AM
    Jrebel, sorry I took so long to respond. I started doing homework and then never got back online to respond to you.

There is obviously no rush for you to see the movie again but whenever you get a moment you totally should.

Harold's mom does try to make him into someone he's not. But she is doing it because she cares. Also the truth of the matter is that Harold doesn't even know who he is. All he does know is that he likes being dead. So it is also necessary for Harold's mom to push him because through that and his interesting (to say the very least) interactions with Maude, he learns truly who he is and more importantly who he wants to become.

I wouldn't say that my parents ignore me because they don't and they love me very much. I just thought I would stress that. But I do feel like today's young generation (including myself) has become so dependent upon praise that when we aren't being constantly assured that we are great then we feel disappointed. I do have idea's that are different from my parents. And I have tried voicing them and it just caused trouble. So I have kind of backed away from that. Once again, my parents are great. I don't want you to get the wrong idea. We just think differently. And it could just be the fact that they are parents and I'm their kid.

The party--- well we played badmitten and ate pizza. Walked to the park and played on the playground throwing water balloons at each other. Then we came back to watch the movie and discussed it afterwards. Then we just kind of "chilled". Yes.... it's a technical term. Lol!
    I definitely do need to watch the movie again. It has been too many years since I watched it for me to really visit about it in the depth that you or Simoneaugie or others can. It is interesting what you shared about "praise". Growing up, I knew my parents loved me but I had real self-esteem issues even though I came across as being very sure of myself. I was the third child. My parents were not huggers, nor did they voice praise. Therefore, raising my children, praise became something I did often and hugged much and assured them of my love because I didn't want them to ever doubt they were loved or to ever have self-esteem problems. Thankfully, as an adult, I prayed about the need of self-acceptance and the Lord Jesus provided that for me. My children are both self-assured, independent kids with children of their own. They both praise their children a lot and sometimes, I think too much... must be a generational thing... LOL :p But as I raised them, I told them it is important when they have children to always let them know how much they are loved and they do and are fantastic parents.

One day I was bemoaning the fact to my daughter that I was proud of her and what she had accomplished but I wished she lived in the same town and state as we do. She laughed and said, "Mama, you raised us to know we could do anything we desired and be anything we wanted to be." I laughed and whiningly said, "Yes, but I forgot to tell you that you had to do it in the same town/state where I live." We had a good laugh.

As a parent, I can tell you that it is just because they are parents and you are their delightful kid. My parents raised us to never impose on anyone, never, so you know a person would grow up feeling not worthy but they were raised in a different generation where children were seen and not heard. Well, bless their hearts, I was very out-going and they heard a lot out of me. They had always told me I was not planned. They thought they had their little family, a boy and a girl and then I came along and was a surprise to them. Hearing this when I was growing up made me feel I was a mistake. Now, to them, they never in a million would have said that to make me feel that way. It is just how life happened to them and they would say that. Now as an adult, my mother has said many times, "I don't know what we would have done without you. You have been the joy of our lives." and "You always make us laugh." Such as that. As it turns out, I am the one who helped Daddy with mother when she got dementia, on a daily basis, took them to the doctor, to family birthday celebrations, out of state to see relatives and then when Daddy had to put mother in a Nursing Home (between daddy, my husband and myself, we could hardly get her in and out of the wheelchair into the car, to the doctor and back, tried everything to keep her home, gave her baths in a bath chair, had hospital bed in the home, etc.) well, anyway, we went daily to let him go home as he would go in the mornings. He then died suddenly and we are still going daily to help mother with dinner as she cannot feed herself much or talk very well. Sometimes, mother will get the words out, "Oh you little silly", when I am making her laugh, or call me "Little Tadpole" which was a name she called me all the time. Well, I digress, sorry for the story of my life right now... my point being, we all have our little niche in this life and have value as an individual. Each generation I think sort of tries to correct for their children, the things that caused them negatives in their lives growing up but then, those children have different needs than we did/do, so we miss the boat sometimes with our own... :o so then they will try and correct with theirs what we missed and so on.

The party sounded like lots of fun. Gives me an idea for a few of my friends in near future, maybe minus the water balloons! LOL I enjoy this thread. Hope we hear from others also on this movie. Thanks for sharing about your life ( a glimpse) and for allowing me to go on and on and on!! (More than anyone wanted or needed to know about me.) :)

Sometimes we need to be shaken out of the "box" we have been placed in and Maude certainly did that, didn't she? :p

May 21, 2008, 10:13 AM
    The praise thing came up in English class and I was blown away with how much I totally agreed with it. I'm glad that you shared all that with me. I didn't really think that I shared all that much about my life. My life isn't all that worth sharing lol.

I'm glad that telling my party gave you some ideas. I can't wait for you to watch it again so we can talk in more depth. I too am excited so see what other people will say about the movie. Don't worry about going on and on and on and on because it was cool to read and my friends do it ALL the time.

I'm going through that shaking process right now! And boy did Maude make it look easy! It almost makes me want to go and replant a tree with a stole shovel while riding in a stolen truck. Lol. Just kidding. I have myself control and not enough life to do something like that.
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2008, 10:24 AM
    The praise thing came up in English class and I was blown away with how much i totally agreed with it. I'm glad that you shared all that with me. I didn't really think that I shared all that much about my life. My life isn't all that worth sharing lol.

I'm glad that telling my party gave you some ideas. I can't wait for you to watch it again so we can talk in more depth. I too am excited so see what other people will say about the movie. Don't worry about going on and on and on and on because it was cool to read and my friends do it ALL the time.

I'm going through that shaking process right now! And boy did Maude make it look easy! It almost makes me want to go and replant a tree with a stole shovel while riding in a stolen truck. lol. Just kidding. I have my self control and not enough life to do something like that.
    You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders! Your life is worth sharing!! You have certainly brightened up my little corner of the world and I thank you for that!!

I think that "shaking" process is probably a life long ordeal! LOL :p

May 21, 2008, 11:41 AM
    Well IF by some miracle of God that I do have a good head on my shoulders then I can not take the credit for it. It is all because of my parents. They have done a great job, now the hard part is whether I listen to all that they say. I know, I know, I know. I should listen to my parents and for the most part I do. We just disagree sometimes. But... that's life. People wouldn't grow if there was no conflict. The trick is to learn something that will make you a better person from what you have been through.

I'm glad you think that my life is worth sharing! But it doesn't sound nearly as interesting as yours! But that's the whole "the grass is always greener on the other side" thing.

Awwwww... I've brightened up your little corner of the world? That is so sweet. I didn't even know I could do such a thing! And believe me the pleasure has been all mine. Thank you for allowing me the chance to brighten the little corner of the world.

I must say that I get really happy to see that I have a new post from you. I can't wait to hear what words of wisdom will spill out from your fingers and onto the computer screen. It's changed my rather ordinary day into a pretty great one. So thank YOU for that.

It's nice to know that the "shaking" process is a life long thing lol! Not just my problem! LOL!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

C. Harold Smith [ 4 Answers ]

Is there any info in C. Harold Smith-cofounder of the Crayola Company? So much is written about Edwin Binney, his cousin, but nothing on Smith. Thanks for the help

View more questions Search