Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MattNWR Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 06:24 AM
    Antique guitar Valuating/Restoring
    I have recently purchased an italian acoustic guitar which I am quite certain is an antique. I bought it as a restoration project as it is slightly damaged but now believe that any work done to it will decrease its value. Inside is a label which has parts missing due to age but the following can be made out...

"FRANCESCO PL__E_ & FIGLI
    Fabbrica di Strumenti Musicalli
    For__ta nel 1840
    Napoli Italia"

Can anybody shed some light onto this for me as it would be a great help.
    Thanks
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 19, 2008, 06:40 AM
    You can post pictures right here :)

May 19, 2008, 08:36 AM
    So I can, only online using PS3 so didn't think it would work. Here are pictures of head, body and inside label.
    Attached Images

Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 01:49 AM
    It's possible that it's an antique and may be as old as is listed on that label. The images that you have provided look like an instrument that might be old, but the label doesn't look all that old to me because it is so white.

Why are you quite certain that it's an antique? It could be a replica of one that was made in 1840. It's not uncommon for stringed instruments to have a paper label of some kind stating that they are made in the same fashion as an instrument that is from a certain year. It's also not uncommon for the labels to look like the original labels from really old instruments.

If it really is from the mid-19th century, you are correct to be cautious in doing any restoration work on it. To alter the finish on a stringed instrument, for other than small repairs, would lessen the integrity and possibly the sound as well as the possible monetary value of it. If it were a wind instrument of some kind, restoring it in many ways, most likely would be okay because the finish on them is not so essential to the sound of them as it is with a stringed instrument.

Where did you obtain the instrument, please? I will continue to do some research...

May 20, 2008, 02:16 AM
    Thanks very much for the swift response. The label inside to look at is not white, must be a bad photo and the paper will not bend but simply cracks to the touch. I purchased the guitar off a man at a car boot sale. He stated that it had been in the family for many years and looking at the three cracks and the slight bends in parts then it does look like it has been subject to years of damp and/or a humid environment. Im not fussed if it is an antique or not really but if it is I think I won't bother restoring it.

Thanks again
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 02:31 AM
    And, thank you for your response!

Does it still function all right as a musical instrument? This also is important to consider if a person were to want to restore a stringed musical instrument whether it is an antique or not.

May 20, 2008, 02:44 AM
    Well the cracks are obviously effecting the sound but the strings stay in tune. The bridge is one that moves along so I'm shocked its still there as it does look to be the original. Strings are nylon obviously with the age of the guitar. (Hope steel have never been used as it would cause the neck to bend). But yea plays fine, doesn't sound great but I'm putting that down to the cracks and the way the strings are attached, also the last 4 fret bars are missing.
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 03:12 AM
    Most of the sound in a stringed instrument travels along the length of a crack and not against it. So, it would be most likely that sound is not bad because of the cracks themselves, (unless one or more of the cracks is under the bridge), but because of the shape and type/condition of wood that has been used to make the instrument. If the wood has dry-rotted at all, (as I suspect that it has, because of the number of cracks) then that can also affect the tone and sound.

It would take a lot of cracks to really affect the tone and sound of the instrument. If one or more of the cracks are under the bridge area, then having them repaired should significantly improve the tone and sound of the instrument.

If the strings are old, then I would suggest installing new, nylon strings, in order to be the easiest on the instrument. If the strings that are on there stay in tune already, then that is great and a good sign! :)

May 20, 2008, 03:23 AM
    Tar very much. The strings will be replaced after restoration (if I get to do it). I really want to translate that label but with missing letters I don't have a chance. Its definitely very old maybe not 1840 old but old. Maybe 1840 is when the company was founded?

To restore or not to restore, that is the question
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 03:42 AM
    Since it is presently holding a tune, I would suggest trying the new strings and see how it sounds before restoration. You can always take them off. If it sounds even a little better, then I would restore it. To restore a stringed instrument, does not mean that you have to disturb the finish on it.

How is the finish on it?

Of course I can't really get a good look at the instrument or hear it, so what I am saying is only based upon what information you are giving to me.

If I were you, given that I have a penchant for old instruments of any kind and hate to see them "die", I would be restoring it. Probably myself though, since I am able to do that. For you, it might be a matter of money. Don't know though...

May 20, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Finish is good but not great. Im on tour soon so money is certainly a problem so I've been looking to purchase, restore and sell making a small profit. If you would like me to post any more pictures then let me know. I really wish to decipher the label before I do anything. Maybe 1840 is the date the company was founded?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Guitar! Guitar!. need an online guru!. [ 9 Answers ]

Okay.. here's the thing: I have an electric guitar on me with a mini-amp and I love playing with it but I want to learn how to actually play it. After repeated 'playing' I have learned the strokes and fingering a little bit on my own but without some theoretical understanding, I don't seem to...

Restoring rights? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any possible way for a father to get his parental rights back after voluntarily terminating them? The father has a good background and terminated them because he hates the mother and was told he could never get the child. The child is in a bad home and is probably going to go into foster...

Restoring force [ 1 Answers ]

At the swimming pool, you notice that different people make the diving board bend down by different amounts. Assuming that the diving board behaves like a spring, explain how you could you determine the weight of everybody that used the diving board if you knew the weight of one person who used it.

Guitar Hero/Guitar Hero II for PS3 help. [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, I don't have a PS2 'cause I made a mistake by waiting for the PS3 to come out forever, but SINCE IT'S FINALLY COMING OUT... I'm going to get it. And the first games I want are Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero II. I want to know if it'll play on my Play Station 3 since it's made for Play...

Restoring my credit [ 4 Answers ]

I just paid off everything on my credit report that was negative. I have a car loan and a student loan in good standing. Everything else was seriously delinquent , in collections, or an attorney. I have paid it all off, what's the best way to build my credit back up?

View more questions Search