Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aber3316 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2006, 07:15 PM
    Family problems
    I had gotten a personal loan in my name and in my name only but I had given the money to my sister and she had told me that she would make the monthly payments because she needed the money at the time and she was good on her word she never missed a payment until recently she said she was no longer going to be making the payments now I'm stuck is there anything I can do even though she never signed anything?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 25, 2006, 07:24 PM
    Take her to small claims court(Judge Judy) a record of who made the payments could weigh in your favor ,in the meantime you are resposible for the loan.:cool:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 25, 2006, 08:02 PM
    One, of course you have to make the monthly payments yourself. If you don't keep the payments up, it will go against your credit and they will add a lot of other charges to this amount.

Next of course if you can't pay and the amount is paid down, you could go see if they could set it up on lower payments for more time to make it easier for you to pay.

And of course you can learn that it is bad enough to co-sign where their name is on it to, and you still get stuck to pay, but this way it all looks on paper like it is completley you.

And you can take her to small claims court ( assuming it is under the allowed amount(you did not say if it is 500 or 50,000 dollars(
    It will be your word against hers, perhaps you paid her with a check, so at least you will have proof you gave her the money. If not unless she admits it, it will be just your word against hers.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2006, 09:07 PM
    Other proof you can use:

Show copies of the cheques that your sister gave you each month for the same amount.

Feb 26, 2006, 03:52 PM
    The amount was $17,000 and she had went in to the loan places and paid cash I have no proof that she paid accept that my other family members knew it and we recently got into an argument and I was mad and told her that I didn't want her help anymore paying it and I would just do it myself so did I relenquish her of the payments or can I still do something?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 26, 2006, 04:03 PM
    Yes you did!You changed the terms of your verbal agreement and she went along with it,you need to talk to her or kick yourself in the butt!:cool: :eek:

Feb 26, 2006, 04:24 PM
    OK also she is telling me that if I did take her to court that she would take my boyfriend to court for saying he would destroy her and husbands car and fight her husband but he used other words and profanities could she?
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2006, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aber3316
    ok also she is telling me that if i did take her to court that she would take my boyfriend to court for saying he would destroy her and husbands car and fight her husband but he used other words and profanities could she?

She could, but is unlikely. She doesn't have a strong case there.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2006, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aber3316
    we recently got into an arguement and i was mad and told her that i didn't want her help anymore paying it and i would just do it myself so did i relenquish her of the payments or can i still do something?
    Was it just the 2 of you in the room? In which case, forget that you ever said that to her.

In court, bring those family members you speak of who know of this deal, and if they can't come, get them to sign affidavits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blended family means family to me, should it not to my husband as well? [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I just really need to know if I am way off base here. Last night my husband told me that"you need to understand how it is going to be between my daughter and myself." " when it comes to special events, even if they conflict with your boys(his stepsons) and in the future if we have children of...

Looking for my birth family. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I was adopted when I was 2 and now being 18 I would like to find my family. My name is jennifer and my moms name was michelle... she died when I was about 9 years old. My middle name was also michelle... my fathers name was david, he was a boyfriend of my moms that my grandmother invited to...

Family eviction [ 2 Answers ]

My brother & his wife live in a 2 flat owned by my mother, who also lives there. My brother & his wife are getting a divorce and his wife won't leave the apartment. They don't pay rent, they just contribute towards half of the property taxes (in Illinois). Can my mother just throw her out or...

Love or family? [ 17 Answers ]

Hi pals I just have a simple but difficult question for u "what could u choose between love|wife and family|parents?" can you tell me the reason? :confused:

Help with family [ 3 Answers ]

Dear, I need help on a situation that, I guess can be described as somewhat abusive. My 20-year-old sister "Kim" has turned into a burden that I don't think I can handle, nor do I want to. I feel like my family is being torn apart an I am being torn up inside. "Kim" is the middle child in...

View more questions Search