Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inksmith Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Garden tractor won't start - tecumseh OHV 155
    My garden tractor just "clicks" when I try to start it. I cleaned the battery posts (twice) and also cleaned the somewhat rusty post and cable on the starter itself. It still just clicks when I try to start it.

The battery is fully charged and I even attempted to start it by "jumping" from my car battery.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 18, 2008, 11:17 AM
    If the battery is fully charged, battery cables and terminals are clean and in good shape, and solenoid/starter motor connections are clean, then the solenoid/starter needs repairing or replacing.

Just like with a car, if the starter motor doesn't turn, but the starter solenoid (relay) "clicks" when the ignition switch is turned to Start, the problem is with the battery, starter solenoid, or starter motor connections.
    inksmith Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Thanks for your help. I'll start shopping for for one now.
    Jerry Oys Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2013, 10:04 AM
    Why won't my murray Lawn Mower not shut off when I turn the key to the off position or get off the seat?

Jerry Oys
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2013, 12:45 PM
    Check the "dead man" switch--it may need adjusting, testing, or replacing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

15.5 hp Tecumseh engine will not start. Does it have points? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 15.5 hp Tecumseh engine in my MTD Yardmachine, purchased in 2000. I want to know if it has points that needs to be replaced or adjusted. I cannot start it but get a weak spark to the sparkplug. Will not turnover. Perhaps I need new ignition module. Engine is OHV 155-204509. I don't...

Garden Tractor not starting. [ 7 Answers ]

Well it was running fine last time I used it, and I went to go mow today, and it was cranking slow (brand new battery by the way) and it only cranked for about 30 seconds total before the battery was dead. So I let it sit and tried cranking it again, and the starter was turning, but not cranking...

View more questions Search