Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swirlgirl Posts: 74, Reputation: 14

May 17, 2008, 08:07 PM
    Cat's behavior is bizarre?
    Our tabby cat is acting weird... she hides in the closets, she used to do this only when there was thunder... now all the time... she would come when you called her... now she just looks at you and turns her head away... she would sometimes get on my son's lap... she no longer does this... sometimes as you approach her she hisses... and when you go up to her to pet her... she lowers her head and meows real loud... like we are going to hurt her.

She is a totally indoor cat never goes outside... she is overweight and it is hard for her to clean her bottom... which makes her smell like a litter box all the time... she has torn out her fur at certain spots... but the hair would grow back. She has an odd looking pattern on her side... it is like the hair was "trimmed" lower, not like the spots that she does to herself... It has never grown higher up? It reminds me of those crop circles that are unexplained.

Last vet visit less than a year ago, she was given a clean bill of health.

Any advice? Thanks!;)
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 18, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Lots of things can happen in a year. It does sound like something requiring a visit to the vet. It may be she really is in pain over something. They sometimes hide when they don't feel well. The fur tearing could be an allergy.

Although I might suggest you start feeding her less. If you're paying attention to the feeding instructions on the package, they are generally WAY too high. If you're "giving in" to meowing, learn a thing called tough love. An overweight cat isn't healthy to begin with, and whatever's causing her to be overweight can be causing other problems.
    HSK Posts: 45, Reputation: 9

May 20, 2008, 10:29 AM
    She may have a urinary infection. Cats that are so heavy that they can't clean themselves, need to be cleaned by their owners. The bacteria builds up causing an infection. The exta fat hangs over the genital area trapping the bacteria. However, it could be anything, so please take her to the vet. Cats hide and change behavior when they are sick or hurt. Heavy cats can have all types of health issues, diabetic, thyroid... etc.
    hayley_parker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 08:52 AM

When cats are sick they hide, they don't come back. I am no expert at this stuff but it sounds like some one has hurt her when you weren't watching. Maybe a small niece or nephew. But try and give her lots of love!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bizarre movie from the 80s [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not sure if it was a horror movie or not. It seemed scary to me, however I was about 8 or 9 years old when I saw it. It was about teenagers at summer camp that decided to lead a revolt and take the counselors hostage. It started almost innocent (for fun) and then they ended up turning on...

Sudden change in cat's behavior [ 2 Answers ]

Several months ago I adopted a cat from the humane society - shortly after I got her - she stopped eating, so I took her to the humane society vet clinic. It turned out her bone marrow stopped producing red blood cells and she was Jaundice - and had to be put to sleep. The humane society said I...

Cat's behavior [ 3 Answers ]

We just recently moved to another state, taking our only cat with us. The house we moved into already had 2 other cats and a dog. My cat is adjusting surprisingly well with the other cats, going up to them and trying to get friendly, but the other cats just hiss and growl, and they even throw...

View more questions Search