Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    M_CONTR Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2008, 07:40 PM
    Possible causes the computer doesn't turn on
    My computer doesn't turn on .It is an Emachine desktop model :C2480.System Windows XP Home edition. Possible causes if I need to change the battery where should I buy it ?and what kind of battery is it? How do I reset the cmos in the computer? I have my recovery disks.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 17, 2008, 09:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by M_CONTR
    My computer doesn't turn on.
    If you mean absolutely nothing happens, no lights or noise, when you press the power button, first unplug the power cord from the back of the computer and wait 30 seconds. Replug power cord and try to start computer by pushing power button. If again nothing happens, no lights or noise even briefly, it's probably a power supply problem (not the wall outlet, but the power supply inside the computer).

...if I need to change the battery where should I buy it? and what kind of battery is it?
    Why do you think it's this? These batteries last for years and often outlast the computer. And, usually the computer will boot anyway with a CMOS error.

CMOS backup batteries are usually lithium coin cell batteries available at superstores like Walmart or electronic stores like Radio Shack. You determine the type by reading the number off the existing battery or possibly by reading the computer's or motherboard's manual.

how do I reset the cmos in the computer ?
    The process is motherboard dependent, but usually involves removing the power cord, shorting a jumper on the motherboard for several seconds, removing the short, and then plugging the power cord back in. Some boards require battery removal. It's best to have the technical literature for your specific motherboard before attempting.
    Computech29 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

May 18, 2008, 01:52 AM
    Well, power supplies are usually the first thing to go, so I would definitely start there. As a rule of thumb when troubleshooting it's best to alleviate the cheapest components first,(Power Supplies, On/off switches etc.) CompUSA, Newegg and a host or other vendors sell cheap power supply testers which would be a wise investment. CMOS only holds the basic startup information for the BIOS, and in most instances in the latest technology can easily be reset using a switch on the motherboard. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SHORT without consulting with a technician first. If you have no lights at all then would definitely put my money on a faulty power supply. You my have to purchase directly from the manufacturer, as emachines falls within the wide proprietary spectrum such as, Dell, HP, Gateway etc.

Good Luck and God Bless.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer does not turn on [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have had a problem for the last month, my PC does not turns on when I plug it in electricity. It turns on the fan, but it does not start when I push the start button. After pushing the starting button a few times and waiting from 5 to 30min it works fine. Once I take the plug off, and on...

Computer will not turn on [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, My wife was mad because I left the computer on, so she pulled the power cord from the back. Now the computer will not turn on at all, no lights, no fans, nothing. Any ideas? I am afraid that it is broke for good!

Computer will not turn off [ 5 Answers ]

My computer Dell (almost 2 years old) will not log off or turn off. Last night I clicked turn off computer and it made a little noise but did not shut down. Then I tried logging off but still nothing, I even tried double clicking and still nothing. Other than that it works fine. Also I can press...

Computer does not turn on? [ 2 Answers ]

My Compaq presario 2100 and a while ago I got the power plug fixed and the battery did not charge so I bought a new battery after I installed the new power port and I put the battery in to the computer and it charged and the next day I was ripping music on to it and the icon that was supposed to be...

View more questions Search