Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amberdawn7247 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Can my landlord evict me because I was unable to pay rent due to an illness?
    I have been unable to pay my rent because I have been sick and my fiancé stayed home to take care of our child because I was unable to. He has gotten back to work, but I still need surgery and will be unable to pick up my son for 4-6 weeks. Can I be evicted while I am in such bad shape, or is the eviction legal because of the rent issue? And if so, is there any way to stop it?
    PLEASE HELP!! Cincinnati, Ohio :confused:
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 17, 2008, 02:43 PM
    I would think that your landlord can convict you, if you didn't pay the rent than he has legal grounds. Is the landlord aware of your circumstances, he is human, maybe he will be understanding and give you an extension.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2008, 02:50 PM
    The law does not take into consideration WHY the rent has not been paid, just that is has not been paid.

He can evict you for non payment regardless of the circumstances that caused you to be unable to pay the rent.

When you go to court, you can explain your situation to the judge, who may or may not take that into consideration, when he decides the case.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 17, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amberdawn7247
    I have been unable to pay my rent because I have been sick and my fiance stayed home to take care of our child because I was unable to. he has gotten back to work, but I still need surgery and will be unable to pick up my son for 4-6 weeks. Can I be evicted while I am in such bad shape, or is the eviction legal because of the rent issue? And if so, is there any way to stop it?
    PLEASE HELP!!! Cincinnati, Ohio :confused:

If you are served with eviction papers the best you can do is go to Court and defend yourself - but as a landlord, if you don't pay your rent I don't pay my bills so I couldn't wait however long it's been PLUS another 4-6 weeks.

Unfortunate that no one else could help you - will your fiancé have a job in 4 to 6 weeks when he wants to go back to work?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 17, 2008, 03:20 PM
    Your landlord may agree to work things out if you have been a good paying renter

But yes of course, the landlord is in business, if he does not get his rent, he can not pay his mortgage, his taxes, his insurance and so on. This is a business, If you did not have food, would you expect to be able to go into your local grocrey store and get food and just walk out with it, since you were too sick to work.

First check with the local welfare system, often there is emergany rent and help with electric and water if you have a documented need
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2008, 03:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck

First check with the local welfare system, often there is emergany rent and help with electric and water if you have a documented need
    That's a great point!

Also, the Red Cross, and many Churches to assist folks if they can document the situation to their satisfaction, that it is not just someone trying to get something for nothing, without the dire circumstances as you are facing.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 17, 2008, 04:37 PM
    The local Salvation Army could help you with the rent. Hopefully you are not too far behind on this. Also they have other resources they can help point you to for more help. Look in the phone book for churches and call every one of them asking for help. If you go to a church and are a member, by all means call your pastor and speak with them about any help your church can give you. I have a friend who was 2 months behind in her rent and about to be evicted. She went to the Salvation Army and a local church group (that had several churches pool their resources into one helping center) and the Salvation Army paid one month and the other group paid the other month. She was then able to get back on her feet but it did take a lot of prayer and doing without to achieve this. Speak with your landlord and see what help (if any) they can help you with. It's worth a try. Not everyone is willing to lose a good tenant - but not everyone has a heart either. Please do not be discouraged. Call and call some more. Your dwelling status is at stake here. Be persistent but not overly so. Go in person if possible to the Salvation Army also. That has more weight to it in person than just a phone call. Take all pertinent papers with you as well showing how much rent you pay, dr bills, etc.
    rosario27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2012, 05:43 PM
    I have a question ,if a tenant is a client of the Behavior health service and is in crisis and has not paid rent. Can a landlord start a eviction?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2012, 05:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rosario27 View Post
    i have a question ,if a tenant is a client of the Behavior health service and is in crisis and has not paid rent. can a landlord start a eviction?

Yes, of course. It is not the landlord's financial responsibility to financially bail out his tenant.

If there are problems very often social agencies will help the patient.
    panther196 Posts: 64, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2012, 11:55 PM
    I have a friend (kind of) who's a mormon & she's out of work. The mormon church pays her rent, utilties, car payment, car insurance & gives her plenty of food. In return she works at the church thrift store approx 36 hrs a month. If she needs more money for car or home maintenance the church picks up the tab. Not too shabby.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my landlord evict me because I got behind on rent because of workcomp injury [ 7 Answers ]

My landlord gave me a 10 day notice to pay or leave .I got behind on my rent because of missing 2 weeks of work at the end of October that lead to November .I had agreement to pay extra amonth till I got caught up.My rent is 425.00 a month and I have giving him 500-550 a mont since end of December....

Can landlord just evict [ 1 Answers ]

We are relocated here to Massachusetts from New Orleans. We signed a lease in December that had in writing that the house would be put on the real estate market in 6 months( would be May 2008. At the time of lease signing we asked for a copy of it and was told he would mail it to us after he made...

MY landlord wants to evict me [ 1 Answers ]

My landlord wants to avict me. He has not shown me any aviction documents.

How can a landlord evict a tenant with a mental illness going by hear say [ 4 Answers ]

I live in North Carolina. I live in an apartment that is owned by mha.nc.gov/hud.nc.org. I'm bipolar, I received an eviction notice on Nov.6,2007. I have to move out on Dec.5,2007, I did appeal it and I have a meeting on Nov.16,2007. The reasons for evictions, are on October 16, I was...

Can We Evict Immediately if They've NEVER Paid Rent? [ 24 Answers ]

We recently agreed to rent a house to some people. We signed the lease agreement, but the renters weren't given the lease or a copy because they haven't paid the first month's rent yet. Can we evict them without notice? They have been there for two weeks and have paid nothing, not to mention...

View more questions Search