Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    target48 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 11:34 AM
    401 k withdrawal
    I am 60 yrs old disabled on social security disablity of 1100.00 before my medical deduction, I would like to close out my 401k and pay off my house , I want to know if the 20 percent taxes they take out is mostlikly all I will pay to the federal government and 10 percent to state of calif, I can barley afford my house payment and I do not want to loose it.
    I receive 603.00 from a long term disablity payment right now which is not taxable.
    Right now I have in 401 k $168,464.36 which $8,584.02 was after taxes so I won't have to pay any more on that amount at withdrawal
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 16, 2008, 11:43 AM
    Since you are over 59 1/2 you can start withdrawals from your 401K. Why not just withdraw enough to cover your house payments? You can set up an annual withdrawal that will cover your mortgage payments for the year. Deposit that in a bank account and pay your monthly payments from that. This way the account continues to earn money and you minimzie your tax liabilty (you can withdraw enough to cover your taxes as well). This also gives you the mortgage interest deduction. Since your 401K is likely to earn a greater return then the net cost of your mortgage interest, you will using the money to your best advantage.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 19, 2008, 01:00 PM
    Scott:

To say that his 401K will earn more than the mortgage interest may NOT be valid. It depends in what the 401K is invested.

I have seen 401K accounts barely match inflation. This is espcially true for 401Ks that are invested heavily in company stock.

Further (assuming he is single), Target48 gets a standard deduction of $5,400 for 2008, plus a personal exemption of about $3,500, so the first $8,900 of his income is tax-free.

We need more information (other income sources, any other pensions, his marital status, his age, etc.) before we can really make any recommendations on how he should address this problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k Withdrawal [ 10 Answers ]

I am looking to quit my job to be a stay at home Mom and take a withdrawal out of my 401k. I have $72K in there and I would like $30K of it. How much extra should I take out to account for the initial tax penalty PLUS the hit at tax time next year??

Minimum withdrawal at 70.5 [ 3 Answers ]

I am 64 and retired (as is my wife) and living on our social security plus some support from investments. We have not taken anything out of my 401K yet and wondering weather we should to avoid being in a higher tax bracket if we wait until 70.5 when the minimum has to be taken out. Is the minimum...

Withdrawal from IRA at 70 1/2 [ 3 Answers ]

I have multiple IRA accounts. Do I have to take a withdrawal from each one at age 70 1/2? Thanks

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

401k WITHdrawal [ 18 Answers ]

Hi, I'd really appreciate some help. :) I lost my job a couple months ago, and took a withdrawal out of my 401k to help survive. Can anyone tell me exactly how bad the taxes will be on it? I will have some deductions to use, but honestly don't know how much that will help, or hurt me? Thanks...

View more questions Search