Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anthonydaffe Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 05:22 AM
    Social Security and Medicare
    I recently filed forms for Social Security and Medicare to the IRS(4 weeks ago), to be reimbursed as my employer had withheld the money in error. This morning I received a letter from the IRS stating that they haven't resolved the matter because they haven't completed all the research necessary for a complete response. I am on a J-1 visa as an exchange visitor (teacher) with a Malawi citizenship. I am trying to claim back the money that was withheld in error in the past 2 years. The IRS says they will contact me in the next 45 days. Is there a problem? Will I get my money back or are they hoping I will not pursue the request? What should I do?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 16, 2008, 05:53 AM
    When did you enter the U.S.
    Malawi does not have any tax treaty with the U.S. so on your income you must pay income taxes. Every one on J1 is exempt from FICA taxes (social security and Medicare) for 2 years.
    Read about FICA taxes: Your U.S. Tax Return: Social Security and Medicare (FICA) Taxes for Non-resident Exempt Individual

Yes, IRS takes 8 to 12 weeks to process your FICA refund form. You must wait.
    anthonydaffe Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 06:20 AM
    I entered the USA August 23rd, 2006.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 16, 2008, 10:45 AM
    There is probably no problem.

Like the letter said, it is just taking longer than expected to process your refund request.

Please be patient.

BTW, you become liabel for FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes on 1 January 2008. You should make sure your employer is aware of that fact.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1-h1 social security and medicare [ 6 Answers ]

I am an indian citizen employed in the usa. My status for 2005 was : Jan-Oct : F1/OPT Oct-Dec : H1 My employer deducted social security and medicare taxes from oct-dec when I was on h1. While filing taxes, my tax consultant told me that since social security and medicare are charged per...

Social Security and Medicare [ 7 Answers ]

Reply to My question The withholding of Social Security and Medicare taxes from the employee is the sole responsibility of the employer. If he fails to do it, the employer becomes responsible to pay both the employer's and the employee's share of the Social Security and Medicare taxes. The...

Social Security and Medicare refund. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My question has 2 parts - I was on OPT Since May 06. My Social Security and Medicare teaxes were withheld by my school - I filed the 843 and related documents and got a refund for last year (until Dec06). My school hired me full time and on May 12th I went to India and got my H-1 stamped. I...

Social security and Medicare taxes. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All... Until 2006 Dec I was a Full time student and my employer deducted social security and medicare taxes while I was working as an intern. Is there any way that I can get back that tax amount? Thanks Mahi vanka.

Social security and medicare taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on H1B. My payroll dept forgot to deduct my social and medicare taxes from my paycheck AND it continued to deduct taxes as per F1. So do I need to pay my medicare and social now with 2005 tax returns? If yes How should I pay those taxes, which forms should I use? Thanks

View more questions Search