Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unbelieveable08 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 02:15 PM
    Still using previous married name
    Now, I just found out that my husbands ex wife was still using his name after they got a divorce? But it was court ordered for her to have a name change and it was granted. Doesn't that mean if she's still using his name after the divorce, wouldn't she get into trouble? If she's court ordered not to use his name then why is she?
    Unbelieveable
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 13, 2008, 02:19 PM
    She can choose to use that last name if she wants to or she can revert to her maiden name. The choice is up to her which name she uses. She just might not have gotten around to going to the d/l place or the bank, etc with her court order showing she is eligible to use a different last name OR she changed her mind about this.

May 13, 2008, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    She can choose to use that last name if she wants to or she can revert to her maiden name. The choice is up to her which name she uses. She just might not have gotten around to going to the d/l place or the bank, etc with her court order showing she is eligible to use a different last name OR she changed her mind about this.
    You've got to be kidding me. It's been since December of 1999 they were divorced, I just found out today that in January 2001 she applied for a gas credit card using his last name.
    I don't think that was right doing that after she wanted to restore her maiden name?

May 13, 2008, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by unbelieveable08
    You've got to be kidding me. It's been since December of 1999 they were divorced, i just found out today that in January 2001 she applied for a gas credit card using his last name.
    I don't think that was right doing that after she wanted to restore her maiden name?

And also who knows how many other credit cards she got after they were divorced using his name? She's a very ignorent woman and God knows if someday this will ruin my husbands credit or they would go back on him.
    holly_penyo Posts: 81, Reputation: 11

May 13, 2008, 02:58 PM
    I know how it is, kind of. My husbands ex wife still has his last name as well. What it all comes down to is that she is lazy. All she needs to do is take the paper work to the social security office to have it changed back. It truly is a disgusting feeling to know that a wretched woman is walking around with your husbands last name.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 13, 2008, 04:44 PM
    No, it is not that the "court ordered that she had to " unless your husband demanded it. What it does is allow her to change it.
    If she does not want to, she can not be forced to, Many if not most women don't change their names at divorce

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can a previous employer say about you? [ 11 Answers ]

I left my job of almost 2 years just recently. I am now seeking employment elsewhere and wanted to know if my previous employer can give me a "bad" reference. I didn't really leave on the best terms (did not give two weeks notice, but DID finish my shift that day, and informed them that I would not...

Can I file Married jointly or married separated [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know, that can I file jointly with my wife or married but separated. She is a Canadian citizen and she does not have a U.S. (SSN). She visits me Every 2 months and if I round up all her visits she has stayed with me More than 6 months, so can I claim her by applying for ITIN...

Can I refile my taxes from Married to married filing separtly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My husband owes taxes and we have been filing taxes Married/Jointly. But Since he owes we won't get the rebate. After I filed our 2007 taxes (I did myself) I wondered if I could have filed Married/filing separately Can I go back and refile again with Married/filing separately. We have kids. So...

Previous years! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I came to the U.S. in 2005 under F-1, and since then I have file neither a 1040NR nor 8843 forms. So, I am really desperate to know if I should file for the previous years or not, once I started my OPT already. I started my OPT in January, and I am currently employed in two jobs. One of...

Previous statement [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone give any insight to the previous question

View more questions Search