mdeyzel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2008, 10:18 AM
    Cauda equina lesion
    Hello,

I was involved in a car crash 17 May 2007:
    I broke my legs.
    I my right arm.
    I crushed the heel in my right foot
    I broke my back and injured my spinal cord.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________

I've got complete bowel & bladder control.
    I've got sexual function.
    I've got feeling in my legs to the tips of my toes.
    My left leg has normal sensation and movement.

However:

My feet still have no movement.
    My right leg is weak, but there is some muscle movement above the knee.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________

What are my chances of walking again?
    Is it going to take years?
    If I walk again, will it be normal or with a walking aid?
    CESElizabeth Posts: 81, Reputation: 7

Aug 27, 2008, 12:01 AM
    You titled this Cauda Equina lession and then your post mentions an auto accident. I am not a medical professional but I worked with spinal injuries in the past and currently have Cauda Equina Syndrome. There is a chance but you must do physical therapy to keep the muscles working. The feet non movement could be because of damage to the perpheral nerves some of them can take up to 8 years to repair themselves. But if you do not do exercises and movement the sensory nerves in the feet do not repair themselves. If the damage is on the actual cord then what repairs itself is in the first year. It depends on where the injury is located. I think this is why no one is trying to answer your question, more information is needed. If you have Cauda Equina lessions go to Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Group for more information and there is a support group that tries to help answer questions.
    BrainSpinalCord Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Sep 2, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Cauda equina lesion is an incomplete spinal cord injury characterized by damage to the nerves located between the first and second lumbar region of the spine, resulting in partial or complete loss of sensation. In some cases, nerves regrow and function is recovered.
    A major factor in this possibility would be for you to maintain muscle function and continue nerve stimulation.
    In the past week there's been a lot of news about an exoskeleton suit available for wheelchair users who have good arm function. There is the thought that something like this will not only allow you to walk in the time being, but also strengthen muscles and train your nerves for solo walking someday. It is pricey but worth checking out. If it's out of your price range, just don't give up on your physical therapy, there is hope for the future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Liver Lesion [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a 21 yr-old female. About a month ago I had a laparoscopic surgery, taking out a dermoid cyst. Before the surgery I had a CT scan for the purpose of examing the cyst. However, the report indicated that there is a leision to the liver as well. Specifically, "A tiny low attenuation lesion...

Follicular Lesion on thyroid [ 3 Answers ]

I had a biopsy done on my thyroid and it came back as a follicular lesion. My doctor want me to have half of my thyroid taken out, and I really don't want to do that. They would then biopspy the entire nodule to make sure that it is not cancerous. Can this procedure be done without removing my...

View more questions Search