Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeDW Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2008, 09:09 AM
    Diverter valve in mixer tap not working
    On this quite old (25 + yrs) mixer tap on the bath there is pull-up mechanism to divert the water to the shower and it is no longer working. Can it be replaced and if so how, or do I have to get a new mixer tap, as the young chap in the plumber's shop told me?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 9, 2008, 10:13 AM
    Are you talking about the pull up on the spout? If so, the spout can be replaced but you need to find out if it is screwed on or slipped on with a set screw. Look for a small hex screw on the bottom of the spout, if there is none its screwed on.

May 9, 2008, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Are you talking about the pull up on the spout? If so, the spout can be replaced but you need to find out if it is screwed on or slipped on with a set screw. Look for a small hex screw on thge bottom of the spout, if there is none its screwed on.

Thanks for your quick reply. The pull up is between the hot and cold bath tap of the unit as in the picture on http://www.wdbathrooms.co.uk/acatalog/CD304_tn.jpg not on the spout.

Joe
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 9, 2008, 12:58 PM
    Thanks for the pic Joe. Since you found that pic can you tell us the brand and model of the faucet. Almost everything can be rebuilt, everything can be replaced at a higher cost.

May 26, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Thanks for the pic Joe. Since you found that pic can you tell us the brand and model of the faucet. Almost everything can be rebuilt, everything can be replaced at a higher cost.
    Hi ballengerb1

How rude of me not to reply earlier to your message: aplogies! Have since solved the problem with a few well-placed taps on the offending part of the faucet. Build up of fur inside caused by the very hard London water, but a real plumber confirmed that these parts generally cannot be found and a replacement of the tap would have been the only solution.

Joe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Identifying shower mixer valve cartridge [ 9 Answers ]

Hi there I need to replace the cartridge in a shower mixer valve but every plumbing supplier just scratches their head when they see it. I just need the black part. The brass part of the valve is just for context. The actual problem is the rubber equalizer disk is ripped. It's normally in the...

Mixer Valve [ 3 Answers ]

I just installed a new mixer valve in my main bathroom and have a small problem with it. When I turn the valve over to the hot water side, it (the hot water) comes out of the shower head while the cold continues to come out of the tub faucet as it is supposed to when the diverter is open. Is...

No hot water from mixer shower valve [ 1 Answers ]

I have had anew shower valve fitted but there seems to be no hot water coming to it even though both hot andcoldpipesare plumbed in. It is an "AROCO SHOWERING by Daryl" shower valve which isless than 12months old. Do I need to replace the whole valve or is it an internal probem? Thanks in...

Diverter valve leak - 3 valve diverter valve? [ 1 Answers ]

My shower has three knobs and the one in the middle diverts the water flow from the tub spout to the shower. I think that means I have a 3 valve diverter valve, if not please correct me. When I turn the diverter knob so that the water comes out of the shower, there is still significant water...

New Diverter Valve not working [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I have read a couple of the threads on diverter valves and thought I might ask this question for some help. Ok here is the background on the problem and how we went about solving it. First this is a house that was built in 1971 so nothing new. The bathroom on the main floor has a three...

View more questions Search