Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnwang9999 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 11:49 PM
    is sign-on bonus considered wages for services rendered in state?
    Hi All,

I'm currently filing my NY state and city taxes, and it says that the state/city wages are only for services rendered within the state. Since I didn't actually work for the sign-on bonus (which was mailed to me outside of New York before I even started work with the company), can I deduct this from the City and State Gross income (i.e. Line 1 Column 2 on IT203 and Line1 Column B in IT 360)?

Here's some info on my W2:
    Box 16 displays X dollars, where X = amount in Box 1, i.e. Fed wages while Box 18 displays (X-SB) dollars, where SB = sign-on bonus.

(Aside: On the instructions for the IT-203 form, it says that my state wages may not be necessarily equal to what's in Box 16.)

So, which of the following are allowed?

1) Use (X-SB) for both State and City Gross income (Line 1)
    2) Use X for state and SB for City as suggested on W2
    3) Use X for both State and City because there is a mistake on W2.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 9, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Based on the information provided, you will have to pay state taxes on the signing bonus, but NOT NYC taxes.

If you do NOT pay NY state taxes on the signing bonus, you will have to pay state taxes for the state in which you lived BEFORE coming to NY state, and provide a copy of THAT state tax return to NY state to show them that you did pay those taxes to the OTHER state.

May 10, 2008, 01:22 AM
    Thanks for prompt reply.

That's what I figured from the data given. Although I'm still trying to figure out the rationale behind how state/city figures this stuff.
    NYS considers sign-on bonus something that I "worked" for while NYC considers it "free" money. So if California state (where I received the bonus) or any other state for that matter considers it "free" money, then one can in theory file it in that state and get away with paying no taxes on the bonus. Is that right?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 10, 2008, 05:49 AM
    I just want to add that you can deduct moving expenses on Form 3903. This is available as adjustment and you do not need to itemized the deductions.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Moving Expenses

May 10, 2008, 06:53 AM
    MukatA: thanks! I did not know that. I can even file that as a non-resident. Cool!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sign on bonus [ 2 Answers ]

Hi , Like most of the members my question is I had a sign on bonus of $5000/ when I joined this new job .The total sign on bonus was for $10000/ which has been split into 2 $5000/ for a contract of 2 years now its almost going to be a year (I joined this company on jan 31 of 2007) and I am about...

State wages differ from federal wages on W2 [ 1 Answers ]

On my W2 Box #1 which lists "wages, tips, other comp. is a different number from box #16 which lists state wages, tips, etc. On my state tax return, which do I list as my wages?

Sign on Bonus Taxrepay & deducting yearly bonus from my sign on [ 1 Answers ]

I got a $5,000 sign on bonus & left the company under 1 year. They held back my $3,033 yearly bonus to deduct it from what I owed them in sign on. BUT they took taxes out of the $3033 bonus before deducting it from what I need to pay back. So they are subtracting $1817 from $5,000, saying I...

View more questions Search