Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Wall tile grout
    The grout around my bathroom wall tiles needs to be cleaned (now that the new shower/bathtub surround-type deal is installed - the domino effect of one thing is replaced and everything else looks old!) and I have no idea where to start.

I have already tried ammonia, bleach (separately, of course), a toothbrush, a grout brush, one of those foaming sponges, Mr. Clean - and the grout still looks off color.

I am told there is a commercial product but it's very, very strong and should be used only by professionals - and there are considerable fumes (and I have dogs).

Any thoughts? I'm thinking I may have to hire someone although I am told the grout does not need replacing, "just" cleaning.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 12:00 PM
    I don't know about cleaning the grout since you tried everything I would have thought of. Have you thought about applying a thin layer of grout over the old grout? This would cover over the discolored stuff. Just wipe off the excess when you're done. The grout could have been off color to begin with!
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    I don't know about cleaning the grout since you tried everything I would have thought of. Have you thought about applying a thin layer of grout over the old grout? This would cover over the discolored stuff. Just wipe off the excess when you're done. The grout could have been off color to begin with!!

That was my original thought - wonder if it would hold if the underneath grout is discolored (at best) or dirty (at worst).

I did have someone look at it and he said it does not need to be re-grouted. Wonder if just a thin layer would work -?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 12:43 PM
    My thoughts exactly. I think a thin layer should do the trick. Try in a small spot to see if it will hold. I am sure it will hold after properly cured.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

May 8, 2008, 01:02 PM
    There is a product sold at home depot called TileLab Grout and Tile Cleaner, I've used it and it worked for me. Bleach works too, but not in your case. I've heard sandpaper and pencil erasers work too but I've never tried that, I'd use a white eraser not pink if you give it a shot. Last resort if it won't come clean is to re-grout.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

May 8, 2008, 01:11 PM
    Just found a product used for staining and sealing grout:

Grout Stain

Might be able to stain it a different color or restore it back to it's original color.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amricca
    Just found a product used for staining and sealing grout:

Grout Stain

Might be able to stain it a different color or restore it back to it's original color.

This sounds like exactly what I need - I'm going to buy some and try it. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing grout from tile to reuse tile [ 5 Answers ]

We had our kitchen remodeled last year and removed/saved the old tile. We are now doing a bathroom and want to reuse the tile. How do I remove old grout from the back of tile so I can reuse the tile?

Grout Tile On Concrete [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I Have Recently Removed Ceramic Tile From A Concrete Floor And Am Left With A Huge Mess Of Grout Absolutely Stuck To The Concrete. I Can No Longer Physically Scrape It... how Can I Remove It Without Damaging The Concrete Floor? I Want To Put Hardwood On It And Need The Surface To Be As...

Tile grout left on wall [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a way to remove tile grout after removing tiles. Some of the wall paper has come off in doing this. Can I just take all the paper off the wall and replaster it using wallboard plaster. Want to paint the wall

Shower wall tile grout leaking [ 1 Answers ]

After every shower, carpet corner just outside the shower door is very wet. Shower wall is made of ceramic tile. I covered and taped the wall with large plastic. I didn't see anymore leaks. I removed the plastic and inspected the grouts and corners very closely. I don't see any cracks. Can the...

View more questions Search