Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

May 7, 2008, 04:08 AM
    Wax Seal . Odor
    Is it possible for a wax seal to allow odor to seep through but not leak water ?

Should a wax seal be replaced every so many years ? (how many)
    Thanks
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 7, 2008, 04:30 AM
    Hey Dannac...

Is this toilet on 1st floor so you can see the pipes downstairs..

It is possible for toilet to have odors but not have obvious leaks...

Do you find yourself cleaning around the base of toilet a lot..

Anyway, if toilet moves even a little, may be that some water/urine, etc. is getting by gasket and collecting under the toilet bowl.. that can certainly give a hidden odor... or maybe little person is missing the toilet bowl and urine is collecting under the toilet bowl..?. OR maybe BIG person is missing... ;)

If you lift the toilet to replace with new wax gasket and floor under toilet is greasy/messy.. then found your issue. If spotless and dry.. then something else is the issue.

Wax gaskets are usually only replaced when a leak occurs or when change out to new toilet or similar. We don't usually replace gaskets unless they need to be replaced.

Let me know if have more questions... Mark

May 7, 2008, 05:04 AM
    Hi Mark

Thanks for the reply... and the humor.

Toilet is on slab addition (10 or 12 years)

Floor / area around toilet clean.. no problems there.

The addition was an office with bath. ( lav - toilet - shower)
    Seems when ever I walk into the office for last month or so there is some type of odor... it doesn't slap you in the face, but something's different.

Really can't pinpoint the odor.
    Just thinking it must be from the Bath.

From that Bath... I can always tell when my exterior air pump (Hoot System) is running.
    Seems I hear it from the toilet area.

Thanks
    Danna
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 7, 2008, 05:40 AM
    OK... when was last time the shower or sink actually got used..

If it has been awhile then possible that the trap from either has dried out and letting sewer gasses into bathroom.

Let me know...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 7, 2008, 05:43 AM
    Is it possible for a wax seal to allow odor to seep through but not leak water ?
    Absolutely! Toilet bolls have a "horn" built into the bowl the directs the flush past the flange. If the seal's rucptued then the force of the flush, plus blow back from the Hoot System could send sewer gas out past the wax seal into your bathroom.
    Should a wax seal be replaced every so many years ?
    Wax seals do not wear out. They can, rupture or compress and leak but they don't wear out.
    Good luck, Tom

May 7, 2008, 05:56 AM
    Shower and sink used daily.

So I guess I'll have a look and replace that seal.

Any particular brand recommended...

If I remember right some have some type of flange built-in,
    Is this better ?

Thanks guys... appreciate your replys and help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 7, 2008, 06:00 AM
    if I remember right some have some type of flange built-in is this better ?
    You're referring to a built in funnel that directs the flush past the flange and into the closet bend. If you're concerned about leaks then the funnel's the way to go. Good luck, Tom
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 7, 2008, 07:54 AM
    Like Tom Said... funnel type wax gasket is best. You may also want to pick up a new pair of 1/4" or 5/16" johhni bolts while you are at it.

The new bolts should make setting toilet easier (longer.. and also easier to thread nuts onto)!

After setting toilet.. want to tighten down as you expect... just don't overtighten. Give the wax some time to spread out... then come back and retighten the nuts at bolts again (be careful). Sometimes, if I am on job for awhile... I will go back one more time an just CINCH the nuts down... then I cut the bolts using a hacksaw (or mini hack saw... may want to add that to your list as well... ;) ), then snap the finish covers over bolts and test away!!

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Seal pavers [ 1 Answers ]

How to seal pavers pool pavers

Seal or don't seal new grout [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my bathrooms. Should I seal the grout? My contractor says no. What are the pros and cons of each decision?

Shower seal [ 1 Answers ]

What do I use to seal around shower waste, in my shower base

Threads won't seal [ 4 Answers ]

I've replaced the faucet (whole kit and caboodle - valve body, faucets, everything) in the tub/shower of one of my bathrooms. The only things that aren't new are the pipe running to the showerhead and the water lines running to the faucet body. I'm having a ****ens of a time getting the water...

View more questions Search