Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Feb 21, 2006, 03:32 PM
    Question about flux types
    Hi all,

What type of flux is recommended for soldering copper pipes? I learned to solder quite a while ago and have since then piped a residential kitchen, and an entire commercial kitchen at a local take-out food store (two double sinks, two custom-made over-the-stove ½" pot fillers, and several hose bibs for various appliance like steamers, etc.) However, all this was done using a bucket of flux that my friend gave me. When I went to buy flux the other day in Lowe's, I saw a bunch of different types: "tinning flux", "soldering flux", just plain "flux", "water-soluble flux", "flux paste", "flux compound" etc. plus the various fluxes were different colors - some were greenish, some were brownish, and some were white - and various consistencies - the greenish/brownish ones were thick, while the white ones were more watery.

So my question is, what exactly am I looking for? I realize that obviously there aren't so many different types - probably just a case of different manufactures using different terms to describe the same kind of flux. So how many types are there really out there? And which one am I looking for? Lowe's had Dutch Bay, Sterling, and Bernz-o-matic, and perhaps a few others - which one is good? I'm particularly interested in the Sterling brand, since in addition to the 1 or two ounce bucket that costs around $2-$3, there was also a "value pack" type of bucket - 16 ounces for about $8. Is it worth it?

Confusedly yours,
    Moishe
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 21, 2006, 03:51 PM
    Hey Moshie,
    " I'm particularly interested in the Sterling brand, since in addition to the 1 or two ounce bucket that costs around $2-$3, there was also a "value pack" type of bucket - 16 ounces for about $8. Is it worth it?"

How many high raise condo buildings do you plan to water pipe with your pound of flux? We just paint the shined surfaces lightly with flux before we solder. A little bit goes a long-long ways. Any acid based flux will do. Our shop has always used NoKorode Solder Paste. Just purchase a small can because you're probably going to have it for years. Cheers, Tom
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Feb 21, 2006, 03:56 PM
    Thanks, Tom. I usually apply the flux rather liberally, but I guess I'll try using less from now on.

Which kind is better though, the watery white kind, or the thicker green/brown kind?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 21, 2006, 04:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmMP3
    Thanks, Tom. I usually apply the flux rather liberally, but I guess I'll try using less from now on.

Which kind is better though, the watery white kind, or the thicker green/brown kind?
    We use the thick brownish kind. If you use too much flux it will melt down on the copper and corode it if you don't clean it off. Don't forget to pick up a few solder breshes.
    Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grass types? [ 3 Answers ]

How do you tell what type of grass you have so you can re-seed your lawn?

Types of gun [ 16 Answers ]

How many types of guns are there?

Flux & Drinking Water [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering how soon after having our house repiped we can drink the water? We were told to flush the lines "really well" to get the flux and solder junk flushed out. What does that mean? 2 days, a week? Please can someone tell me? Thank you!

Modem Types [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, Could anyone advise me on what I have to do if I currently have a broadband connection (all connected up and installed) in my home but my PC only seems to have a 56k modem installed. Ie: Is there still a way I can connect to the internet on my PC via my broadband cable? The connector on the...

Data types [ 4 Answers ]

A friend in the Wondir forum wants to know what data types mean, is there a simple explanation? Or should I refer him to the Princeton knowledge base? Thanks for your help.

View more questions Search