Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emma g Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

May 5, 2008, 10:56 AM
    Tongue Piercing?
    Hi I've recently wanted to get my tongue pierced bu I don't know what I'm doing is right.
    Any solutions are advice.
    Thanks xx
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 11:04 AM
    Please do not do this. I personally think it looks revolting to constantly see something on a person's tongue when they open their mouth and the constant clicking against the teeth is not pleasant either. I have heard and read some pretty gruesome stories of this causing horrible health problems from infections from the piercing. You must be under 25 to even consider doing this to yourself. I have no idea just whose idea it is to pierce their tongue and think it's cool, neat, or whatever. You may think it is cool, etc. but I for one do not think so. This could possibly eliminate you from a good paying job as whoever is doing the hiring does not like the tongue thing (but they will give you a completely different reason or no reason why you were not hired) and dismiss you from the eligible candidates. Extra piercings other than ear piercings are now becoming a thing of the past.
    puppylove2145 Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

May 5, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma g
    Hi ive recently wanted to get my tounge pierced bu i dont know what im doing is right.
    Any solutions are advice.?
    thanks xx
    I had it when I was 18. Until I was 20. I liked it, and often miss it. But... it can damage teeth if you play with it a lot. But other than that, I would say go for it! It doesn't hurt as much as I thought it would, and as long as you keep it clean, you won't have any problems! I don't have any crazy scars or side effects from having it, so go for it!
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2008, 01:45 PM
    How old are you? If you are underage you need parental consent. No parental consent, no piercing.

There are pros and cons to getting any piercing. Pros -- give you a chance to express yourself through body art. Some people paint to express themselves, some people play musical instruments -- and then some people get body art.

Cons -- The possibility of irritation and infection (migration and rejection can happen too, but not so much with tongue piercings), and the wearing of the tooth enamel. These things can be prevented if the piercing is well cared for. Tooth enamel wear can be prevented if plastic balls are used instead of metal ones.

Ultimately, it is up to you. If you want it, but you are having doubts, that may be a good indicator that you are not ready yet. I have never had a doubt in my mind about any of the piercings I have gotten.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2008, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    How old are you? If you are underage you need parental consent. No parental consent, no piercing.

There are pros and cons to getting any piercing. Pros -- give you a chance to express yourself through body art. Some people paint to express themselves, some people play musical instruments -- and then some people get body art.

Cons -- The possibility of irritation and infection (migration and rejection can happen too, but not so much with tongue piercings), and the wearing of the tooth enamel. These things can be prevented if the piercing is well cared for. Tooth enamel wear can be prevented if plastic balls are used instead of metal ones.

Ultimately, it is up to you. If you want it, but you are having doubts, that may be a good indicator that you are not ready yet. I have never had a doubt in my mind about any of the piercings I have gotten.
    THIS is an answer...

Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    Please do not do this. I personally think it looks revolting to constantly see something on a person's tongue when they open their mouth and the constant clicking against the teeth is not pleasant either. I have heard and read some pretty gruesome stories of this causing horrible health problems from infections from the piercing. You must be under 25 to even consider doing this to yourself. I have no idea just whose idea it is to pierce their tongue and think it's cool, neat, or whatever. You may think it is cool, etc., but I for one do not think so. This could possibly eliminate you from a good paying job as whoever is doing the hiring does not like the tongue thing (but they will give you a completely different reason or no reason why you were not hired) and dismiss you from the eligible candidates. Extra piercings other than ear piercings are now becoming a thing of the past.
    ... and this is not. This is a opinion on body piercing.

Like nautical said, piercings are a personal expression. Once upon a time, I had my belly button, tongue, nose, lip and ears(twice) pierced all at the same time. If you care for them properly, you shouldn't have any problems.

What's nice about piercings is that if you get tired of them, you can take them out and let them heal; they're not permanent like tattoos. If you're unsure, then I would wait. Otherwise you're going to be nervous and that won't make anything easier to do. Save your money for now and wait until you're sure on what you'd like to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Belly Infection? /Tounge Piercing Info [ 13 Answers ]

I got my belly button peirced a month ago, and I was washing it well (provon lotion soap), and rinsing with salt water (h2ocean).But recently, A lot of puss has been coming out of it, and around the top my skin kind of sticks to it.. Its not too red though.. Is it infected? Also, for me to...

Tongue piercing delmemma [ 16 Answers ]

so my 16th birthday is coming up and my mom agreed to take me to get my Tongue pierced. I am getting it done this Thursday and Friday(the day after) I have school... will I be able to talk at all? ps.I know I spelled dilemma wrong =[

Just got my tongue peirced [ 3 Answers ]

Okayy so I just got my tongue peirced. I didn't really hurt, its just that its really really annoying to talk. Plus I haven't eaten in two days. When is my tongue going to stop swelling? Also around the bottom ball, there's a little white goey stuff that I just take off with a q tip. Does that...

Burned Tongue [ 1 Answers ]

I burned my tongue with Listerine, and I can't taste certain foods, and the inside of my mouth has a metallic taste, what can be done about this?

View more questions Search