Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laxjet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Sign-on bonus repayment
    I received $11,500 in sign-on bonuses with a company in 2006. Now in 2008 I have to pay that back plus 8% interest per year. I am wondering how I can recoup the money I paid in taxes on the bonuses. Please also note that in 2005 my husband and my income was around $73,000. In 2008 I believe it will be around $170,000. Would it be better to amend the 2005 taxes or claim it in 2008? Or do I even have a choice? Thank you in advance to whomever responds.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 3, 2008, 06:05 PM
    You received sign-on bonus in 2006, so it is income in 2006. You are returning sign-on bonus in 2008, so it is negative income in 2008, so must be on your 2008 tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sign On Bonus repayment - offer letter language [ 1 Answers ]

I just put in my two weeks for a job I have help for about 7 months. When I started I received a 5k sign on bonus. When going back over the offer letter I see the following language: "You are required to repay this bonus in full if you leave Company ABC voluntarily, or are terminated for cause,...

Tax implications of sign on bonus repayment [ 1 Answers ]

I signed an offer letter in California that included a $12,000 sign on bonus. If I leave before 1 year, I will owe the full $12,000. I paid about $5,200 in taxes on the sign-on bonus. These taxes were taken out of my first paycheck with the company. It has been eight months, and I feel that...

Repayment of Sign On Bonus [ 1 Answers ]

I received a $5,000 sign on bonus. With taxes and everything taken out I received $2872.50. I haven't cashed the check and will be returning it within a month or so of my hire date, which is still in the same fiscal calendar year. My question is this do I have to pay back the $5,000 or can I just...

Repayment - Sign On Bonus Repaid [ 5 Answers ]

I had sign-on bonus $5000 received ($3500 after tax) in 2005 and I left my job in 2006 that I repaid $2370 back to the company. According to IRS Pub. 525, I should be able to claim the repayment back. The following stated repayment clause: Repayments If you had to repay an amount (less than...

Sign on bonus repayment [ 1 Answers ]

I have to repay my sign on bonus because I resign from my job before I had completed 1 year of employment. My sign on bonus was $5,000 gross and $3,217.5 net after tax (which I received). My company asks me to pay back $4,617.5. I don't understand why I should reimburse more than the net I have...

View more questions Search