Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tonyry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2008, 11:21 AM
    is my daughter in-law trespassing
    Hi
    I own a home and on the deed it is a 2 familyhome consisting of the main floor which has a lower level NOT AN ILLEGAL BASEMENT but a lower level to the main 1st floor,, and of course the 2nd floor upstairs,, I have always rented the 2nd floor, that is 1 family and then I rented the main floor but only the upper level and that would be a 2nd family which is within the deed, the tenant who moved into the main floor didn't want the lower level in exchange for a lower rent, I believe I am still good legal wise, my son got married and I allowed my son and my new daughter in-law into the lower level of the main floor AS GUESTS no lease and no rent, now my son is divorced and my x daughter inlaw WILL NOT GET OUT,, and I was thinking an individual can ONLY BE A TENANT if there is a lease agreement, is this correct? If so, can I lock her out? Is she trespassing ? I live in brooklyn New York and I'm pretty sure if I call the local police 61st precinct they won't do anything,, my final question is, do I fall into an illegal basement issue because my x daughter inlaw is down there, BUT REMEMBER it is not an illegal basement it is the lower level to the main 1st floor but the tenant who rented didn't need the lower level,, I am assuming that if I rented the lower level to my son and his then wife that would have been illegal but I didn't I just let them in as guests because the lower level to the 1st floor was empty,, now my x daughter in-law won't get out!
    PLEASE HELP
    JAMIET Posts: 73, Reputation: 12

May 2, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Hi... check out the New York State AG's office website:

www.oag.state.ny.us/realestate/tenants_rights
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 2, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyry
    Hi
    I own a home and on the deed it is a 2 familyhome consisting of the main floor which has a lower level NOT AN ILLEGAL BASEMENT but a lower level to the main 1st floor ,,, and of course the 2nd floor upstairs ,,, I have always rented the 2nd floor, that is 1 family and then i rented the main floor but only the upper level and that would be a 2nd family which is within the deed ,, the tenant who moved into the main floor didn't want the lower level in exchange for a lower rent ,, i believe i am still good legal wise ,, my son got married and i allowed my son and my new daughter in-law into the lower level of the main floor AS GUESTS no lease and no rent ,,now my son is divorced and my x daughter inlaw WILL NOT GET OUT ,,, and i was thinking an individual can ONLY BE A TENANT if there is a lease agreement,,is this correct? if so, can i lock her out? is she trespassing ? i live in brooklyn new york and im pretty sure if i call the local police 61st precinct they wont do anything ,,,my final question is ,, do i fall into an illegal basement issue because my x daughter inlaw is down there ,, BUT REMEMBER it is not an illegal basement it is the lower level to the main 1st floor but the tenant who rented didnt need the lower level ,,, i am assuming that if i rented the lower level to my son and his then wife that would have been illegal but i didnt i just let them in as guests because the lower level to the 1st floor was empty ,,, now my x daughter in-law wont get out!

PLEASE HELP
    Do you have an occupancy certificate and how many "apartments" does it cover. You cannot turn a 2 floor house into a 2 unit building without a certificate of occupancy whether the second (or third) "apartment" is in the basement, first floor, second floor.

Right, this is a civil matter, not a criminal matter - she will need to be evicted.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 2, 2008, 02:49 PM
    First several issue, yes she is a tenant, this is a verbal non paid rental. Once they moved in they set up a tenant relationship. Also since this is a husband / wife separation ( or divorce issues) you are just the landlord and your agreement was between the two of them, they have to work it out, or you will really need to evict try and evict her in court. But I will be honest the housing judge may not hear the case and order it to go to family court as part of the divorce issue.

Now, not what is on the deed, but what is the occupantcy certificate you have from the city, if the home was not given by the city permission to be multi family rental ( not merely zoned on deed multi family).

You can not just lock her out, or she can sue you for damages and illegal eviction and get a fairly good settlement most likely

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I this considered crimal trespassing? [ 6 Answers ]

My husband was on my property and I scratched his car with a butterknife. Can this be considered criminal trespassing?

How do you get charge with 2nd degree trespassing? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm interest in this because my daughter's ex boyfriend was charge after taking a gun to her work place and shooting at some people. I want to see if he should have been charge with some other charges.

Criminal trespassing [ 2 Answers ]

What are the laws and out comes of this offence

Trespassing and maintenance [ 8 Answers ]

Since some laws are different depending on where you live, I'll start by saying that I currently live in Baltimore County, MD. My question is if a maintenance worker lets himself into my apartment to find out if I'm home because he saw someone knocking on my door, is this considered trespassing? ...

Police officers trespassing [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know if a police office can go on to private property if they are not called?

View more questions Search