Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Axman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2008, 07:53 AM
    Collecting a judgement
    How do I go about claiming my judgement money from a small claims case? It was filed against a small company in Florida not an individual. I live out of state from the defendant and I already know the guy is a dead beat because he has owed me the money for over a year. Are there companies that will by the debt from me for a fee or a percentage?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 2, 2008, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Axman
    How do I go about claiming my judgement money from a small claims case? It was filed against a small company in Florida not an individual. I live out of state from the defendant and I already know the guy is a dead beat because he has owed me the money for over a year. Are there companies that will by the debt from me for a fee or a percentage?

They won't buy the debt but there are collection companies - now that you have a Judgment - that will collect, usually for 1/3. Some collection agencies will work for individuals, others will not - depends on the agency and you might have to call around.

If you don't mind answering a question - how did you in one State get a judgment against someone in another State? I've got the same situation and I keep running into brick walls. I am afraid I will have to physically go to the other State to file and then go back for the hearing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 2, 2008, 03:32 PM
    Yes, most collection agencies will do it, I would hire one in their state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ohio collecting judgement [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I sue my ex for past bills and won a judgement. I have been unable to collect any of the money due. How do I go about getting my money?

Collecting Default Judgement [ 19 Answers ]

Judgement awarded by default. (CA) When exiting car, I tripped and fell when a contractor put a garden hose from his construction site into the city water main drain. I drove by the office to make sure they were still there before sending letter of demand and 5 days later the building has been...

Collecting on a personal judgement [ 3 Answers ]

I received a judgement against a contractor. How do I go about making sure that judgement shows up on his credit? Can I file the judgement in the county he lives in too? Can his wages be garnished? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Collecting judgement from company, LLC [ 1 Answers ]

I won my case against the courier company I had contract with, and was awarded $7500. They did not pay any money judgement to me. What are the ways I can collect any money? Can I ask court to order a third party (pharmacy subcontracting courier company) to pay the debt directly to me, kind of...

Collecting a judgement [ 14 Answers ]

Won a judgement bk in oct 2004 and have not received any money from this person he owns a trailer park and in 2005 he let his friend be partner with him in the trailer park.I did a notice of writ which I took out in June of 2005 what that do I do not know.but that is what the courts told me to do I...

View more questions Search