Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2008, 12:04 AM
    How often do you work out at the gym?
    Is there an optimal number of days a week to workout at the gym? I tend to go at least three times a week, often more, and alternate between a half hour workout on the treadmill, and the next time do the tready and weights.
    MassNutrition Posts: 75, Reputation: 5

May 2, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frangipanis
    is there an optimal number of days a week to workout at the gym? I tend to go at least three times a week, often more, and alternate between a half hour workout on the treadmill, and the next time do the tready and weights.
    There really isn't a set "rule" on how many times you should go to the gym. It all depends on your body's ability to recover. We all have different recovery times, and you need to find yours.

Personally, I go about 5 days a week on average... some weeks just 3 times, others 6. Workouts are NEVER more than an hour. Anything more than that is overkill. Get in, and get out. If my workouts are grueling, I tend to take more rest days in between my workouts (every other day workouts). This gives my nervous system time to recover. Most people make the mistake that it's your muscles that need recovering, but instead it is more your nervous system.

If you find that you're tired after workouts, or too tired in the mornings to get up, loss of appetite, or lack of motivation to go workout, then these are signs that you could be over-training. If 3-day workout weeks are good, then stick to them. If you like, try pushing for 4, or maybe even 5, and see how you feel. As I already stated, we all have different recovery times... you just to find yours through experimentation. Good luck!
    teh threat Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2008, 12:49 PM
    No one ever died from going to the gym too much. Olympic and pro athletes nearly kill themselves with their workouts. Whatever you do, you'll survive it, but it may not be comfortable.

3-4 times a week is good, and that's repeating your workout. So lift weights 3-4 times a week and run 3-4 times a week. Running is more of a daily thing though since cross country and marathon runners run daily. Weight lifters always have a days rest before repeating their routine.
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2008, 02:18 PM
    Thanks, both helpful answers.

I was wondering about running everyday, so I'm glad you mentioned this. When it's been possible, I've used the treadmill everyday even if just for 20 minutes ~ as long as do something each day. I've always made sure I've had at least a days rest between working out on weights.
    teh threat Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Running everyday is probably the best because the mind and body will like the consistency better. I used to do running every other day and found out that it was just too stressful on my mind, it was like a yoyo always up and down. Since my schedule for it was inconsistent my body didn't like it--the result is that it was just a little more difficult to go every other day. Run every day and you'll kind of zone into it. Glad to be of help.

Combining long distance running and weights is something I don't recommend because it sucks, but since you only run 20 minutes and you probably do less than 20 sets for weights its probably not a bad thing, so go for it. You'll definitely fire up that metabolism and dissolve madd amounts of energy. Way to be well rounded in your exercise too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Live in NH, work for MA company, if relocated to work from home, what about taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

Here is the situation: I currently live in NH and work for a MA company. So far I have been filing as non-resident MA tax. I have a possibility to relocate to my home in NH instead of the office in MA. Here are my questions: 1. Will MA taxes still be deducted from my pay? 2. Should I...

How does POS retail tills work, cash registers with touch screens how do they work? [ 2 Answers ]

How does POS retail tills work, cash registers with touch screens how do they work? They are also known an point of sale and kiosks like the ones in mcdonalds or leisure centres

How does POS retail tills work, cash registers with touch screens how do they work? [ 2 Answers ]

How does POS retail tills work, cash registers with touch screens how do they work? They are also known an point of sale and kiosks like the ones in mcdonalds or leisure centres

View more questions Search