Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schuttpelz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2006, 04:08 PM
    Taxes on 401k cash out
    I have cashed out my 401k to invest in a home. The deal did not go through and lost $3,100.00 on the attempted purchase.

The holding company of the 401k withheld 20% of the money to send to IRS. I have been living on the proceeds of the 401k for 6 months. I did have a job before the cash out, made about $9200.

The amount of the cash out was $36,000.00 with 20% withheld, it was $29,880.00.

My questions are these.
    Do I owe for Medicare and Social Security on the $36,000.00? If so how do I calculate based on this information?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2006, 06:15 PM
    You owe NO Medicare and Social Security; those taxes were paid when you made the contributions to the 401K.

You do owe a 10% early withdrawal penalty in addition to normal taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K cash out [ 2 Answers ]

Could you tell me when and how much taxes I would pay if I cashed out my 401K which is $28000.00. Earnings for the year is $52000.00. Would that $28k be added to my income?

401K cash out, help [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone like a challenge? Lol As you can tell by the title a lot of changes in ’06…I reside in NH but work in MA and collected unemployment in Mass... 1. Laid off 1/4/06…Got residual hourly rate of $1500 GROSS, commission of $500 GROSS and annual bonus of $1000 GROSS… 2. Cashed out...

401k company won't let me cash out. [ 4 Answers ]

I left a company a year ago. Tried to cash out 401k, and was told by law I had to waite one year. I was able to claim some of the money on hardship. Now one year later, and after losing some of the money to stocks, I'm being told I have to waite another 6 months. This is the time of the...

HELP 401k cash out [ 6 Answers ]

12/5/05 I left my employer and had a small 401k. I requested to cash out as it was small amount. 1/06 checked Manual life and account was still listed as active and open. I called Manul life to discuss closing account. I was told need special paper work from previous employer. So called again and...

401k Cash Out [ 5 Answers ]

The company is closing, I'm over 55 and will be able to avoid the 10% penalty when the 401k plan ends. I am fully vested. Understand the state and federal tax implications. Not unemployed and not sure how long that will last. If I roll over to IRA, I can't get access to the money until at least...

View more questions Search