murcorm Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 11:24 AM
    Center & Radius Circle
    Fine the Center and Radius of the Circle given that it equation is

x^2 + y^2 + 2x -6y - 6 = 0
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Your objective is to turn the equation that you were given into an equation of the form:

(x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2.

In other words:

x^2 -2ax + a^2 +y^2 - 2by +b^2 = r^2

Once you have this, the center of the circle is at (a,b) and the radius is r.

Let us know how it goes.
    iamthetman Posts: 105, Reputation: 8

Apr 28, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Well, the standard form for the equation of a circle is x^2 + y^2 = r^2 where the centre of the circle is (0,0) so putting your equation into this format would give you the answer to both your questions.

Do you remember completing the square?
    Let's just look at the x's for now:
    x^2 + 2x
    = (x+1)(x+1) - 1
    = (x+1)^2 - 1
    This means that the x-coordinate of the centre of the circle is -1 since (x+1)=0 implies x=-1.

Now look at the y's:
    y^2 - 6y
    = (y-3)(y-3) - 9
    = (y-3)^2 - 9
    This means that the y-coordinate of the centre of the circle is 3 since (y-3)=0 implies y=3.

Now putting everything together we have:
    x^2 + y^2 + 2x -6y - 6 = 0
    x^2 + 2x + y^2 - 6y - 6 = 0
    (x+1)^2 - 1 + (y-3)^2 - 9 - 6 = 0
    Grouping all the like terms gives us:
    (x+1)^2 + (y-3)^2 = 16

Now we have standard form, so we know our radius is 4!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Atomic radius [ 1 Answers ]

How do you calculate the atomic radius for Argon?:confused:

Radius of Galaxy [ 2 Answers ]

How do you find the radius of a galaxy, R, knowing the distance to that galaxy, and the distance between that galaxy and another right beside it. (Like a binary galaxy, we're assuming the distance to both the galaxies is the same). An equation is what I'm looking for, but the exact numbers are: ...

A radius [ 24 Answers ]

Picture a chair back(bench) 50" wide,25" high(right now its square) I would like to build a radius approx. 2-3' drop on each end,using the full height in the center. Any ideas how I can make a flowing curve like this? Ken

Density, radius and g [ 9 Answers ]

The earth has density rho(p) and radius R. the gravitational field strength at the surface is g. what is the gfs at the surface of a planet of density 2p and radius 2R. A g B 2g C 4g D 16g what is the equation I would use to solve this

Find the center of a circle? [ 1 Answers ]

I need to find the center of a circle passing through the points A(-3,1), B(2,4), and C(5,-2). I need to express my answer as an ordered pair. My teacher said that you can use the distance formula for each one but that it would take a long time and he said that their was an easier way using...

View more questions Search