Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaxon Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2006, 11:34 PM
    How to uninstall rawrite
    I was clicking and dragging some proggys from a floppy to my desk top and transferred a proggy called "rawrite". Now I can't remove it from the desktop. I tried everything that I know even going into safemode to delete but no good. I even tried backdating my computer or I think its called "system restore" now. I was thinking since this proggy deals with ms-dos (at least that's what I think) then it might not supposed to be put on a desktop and there for it can't be removed. But hell I'm just guessing cause if I knew then I would not be posting here.. *smile*. Thanks.
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Feb 18, 2006, 05:04 AM
    Hi,
    I think it has to be removed from the base as it is a program. The icon shows on the desktop is only a shortcut. Right click the icon on the desktop > Properties > Geneal Tab > Find Target. Delete it from there. If you are still unable to delete it, I don't know if you have tried to remove it from the Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs>Higlight the program you want to remove and click Remove.
    jaxon Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2006, 06:06 AM
    I tried both of those ways already and it doesnot even show up in the control panel as a program under "add/remove programs"...
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2006, 07:03 AM
    Hi,
    If you wish to try this suggestion, it might solve this issue. As you said, RaWrite is a DOS program sometimes used to installing different programs.
    It's really weird that it can't be deleted from the desktop.
    If you want to try deleting it from DOS, here is one method:

In order to get to the C> prompt in Windows XP; a Boot Disk must be made as follows:

1. Insert a Floppy Disk into the Floppy Disk Drive, usually A Drive.
    2. From the Desktop (main computer screen), left double click on My Computer.
    3. Right click on A Drive.
    4. In this window, left click on "Create an MS-DOS Startup disk".
    5. Left click on Start.

After it finishes, remove the Floppy Disk.
    Turn off the computer.
    Then, insert the Floppy Disk into the A Drive (Floppy Disk drive).
    Turn on the computer, and it will come up to the A> prompt.
    Type in CD C:\ and then press Enter.
    It could be CD C: and then press Enter.
    The prompt will change to C> prompt.
    Then, type in DIR /p after the C>.
    It will look like C>DIR /p
    The /p will stop the directory after the first page, then to get to the next page, press Enter.
    You are looking for a file named rawrite.exe. If you find this file, you can then delete it (hopefully).
    It could be under the Directory, C>Utilities.
    You can check in that directory by typing in, at the C> prompt, CD UTILITIES.
    It willl look like C>CD UTILITIES (or might be UTILITY).
    Then, press Enter
    Type in DIR again, and see if rawrite.exe is under that directory.
    If you find the file, you can type in DEL RAWRITE.EXE, and press Enter.

If you don't want to try the above, you can always resort to Editing the Registry. But, WARNING! Your computer might not re-boot! If you would like step-by-step instructions on how to search the Registry for words like "rawrite" and delete the values and entries, please post back. You can always save a Good Registry, then if something happens, revert back to it.
    Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Uninstall/Reinstall... [ 2 Answers ]

First I install Coreldraw GS 12 the I decided to update it to Corel X3 but my PC begun to slow then I uninstalled the X3 and try to reinstall the CGS 12 but it won't let me it saz error in applying... :confused:

Uninstall [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to uninstall a program but this message appeared on after confirming deletion.. "unable to locate the installation log file C/:program files blah blah... Uninstallation will not continue. What could be the problem? Anyone help please~ ;)

Uninstall windows [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I've a windows ME, so is it possible that I can uninstall the windows ME without using a CD? If you know how, send me an e-mail message.

How do I uninstall windows [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Can you tell me how to uninstall windows 98, as I am trying to upgrade to windows 98 SE but when I load it on to p.c without unistalling windows98 I can't connect to internet , when I try to connect it keeps coming up this program has caused an illeegal operation and will be shut down. So...

View more questions Search