Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nature man Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 01:40 PM
    17HP Briggs won't start after lots of white smoke
    Engine was running fine, sudden mass of white smoke and RAW oil out of exhaust. Found rubber tube from block to carb. Inlet had come off.
    Re-connect tube,replaced spark plug. Getting fire but has weak compression.
    Does not appear to be getting gas. Exhaust will get WARM while cranking but will not start (does not make an attempt). Broken ring or stuck valve?
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2008, 04:39 PM
    Could be rings. Have you done a compression, or leak down test?
    1983nab Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 06:52 PM
    Sounds like you need a new engine

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs and Stratton 17 HP bellows white smoke [ 27 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor with a 17 hp OHV Briggs model #311707-0132-E1. I seems to run fine until I start mowing. The added pressure on the engine from the cutting is creating a huge cloud of white smoke. It stops as soon as I stop the blades and put it in neutral. I assume oil is getting...

16.5 briggs & stratton blowing white smoke, why? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 16.5 hp B&G engine OVC. Model #313777, type 0134-ez, code 990929ze. I need to know in detail how to change head gasket. What all is involved, such as, sequence of bolts, amount of tourqe and anything else I need to do and how to do it. All information would be greatly appreciated. ...

17hp briggs & stratton bolens lawn tractor will not start? [ 2 Answers ]

Recently purchased a Bolens lawn tractor w/ a 17 hp briggs and stratton. It does not have spark. Have put in a new plug with no results. Need suggestions what to try next. Thanks!

16.5 hp Briggs and Stratton blowing white smoke [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 9 yr old Murray riding mower. The engine started blowing white smoke and looses power when on a incline. Move the mower to level and runs well.

Briggs & Stratton blows white smoke [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Cub Cadit garden tractor 1500 series with a Briggs & stratton engine When coming off an incline the engine starts bolwing white smoke like it is pulling engine oil into combustion chamber. What causes this?

View more questions Search