Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lloyd Miller Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 10:34 AM
    IRS Tax Lien
    My brother owes $100,000.00+ from payroll withholding taxes he failed to pay upon closing a business. The IRS filed a tax lien on him personally as he was responsible. He is very depressed and lives on a very small income in a rooming house now. He pay little or nothing to the IRS in spite of threats. After 10 years, which is approaching, will this debt be cancelled?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2008, 10:57 AM
    IRS collection statute of limitations

Apr 27, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Well, if read this right, since my brother has signed no agreements with the IRS, he should be out of the woods when the 10 years is passed. He did make an offer in compromise application that was rejected after perhaps a year.. . So maybe that would add a year to the 10 year limit.

The main thing is that he doesn't have the will to try to get a good job with this lien for 100% penalty is in effect as he supposes all his wages will be seized.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 27, 2008, 07:47 PM
    By law, the IRS has the authority to collect outstanding federal taxes for ten years from the date your liability is due. If you enter into an installment agreement and you cannot fully pay the amount you owe within the normal collection period, the IRS may request you to sign a waiver to extend the collection period. The collection period is automatically extended when a taxpayer files for bankruptcy or an Offer in Compromise.

Apr 27, 2008, 08:48 PM
    For how long is the collection period automatically extended if one files for bankruptcy or an offer in compromise? I think my brother filed for both right after he was assessed. I am trying to bring him out his depression and try start earning a decent living.
    TaxSage Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 09:28 AM
    Lloyd Miller,

Tax Lien is released when the debt owed is paid or if it becomes unenforceable due to time lapses. If the taxpayer has an Offer in Compromise in place or if the outstanding debt is paid in full, the Tax Lien will also be released.

There are a few reasons the IRS may withdraw a Tax Lien before the debt is paid off in full and they are the following:

1. The filing of the notice against the taxpayer was premature or not filed correctly
    2. The taxpayer has made an agreement with the IRS to pay back the outstanding debt amount
    3. The withdrawal of the notice would allow the taxpayer to pay off the debt
    4. The withdrawal would be in the best interests for the taxpayer and the government combined

The following IRS link may also help you with said tax issue: Tax Liability

Sage

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lien [ 2 Answers ]

I RECEIVE DISABILTY direct deposit into my checking account. I just found out by calling the bank that I have lien on my account by a long Islland attorney.I live in the state of Ga. Can my disabilty check be taken?

How do I know if there is a lien? [ 4 Answers ]

My sister passed away and the collection agencies say they are putting a lien on her property. The only problem is the property is not hers but belongs to my mother. It was never hers. How can we find out if someone is trying to put a lien on my mothers house in my sisters name.

Lien [ 4 Answers ]

Can a credit card company place a lien on property?

Lien [ 8 Answers ]

I checked my account online tonight and all my money is gone. I called my bank's 1800 number and they said there is a lien on the account for 2000 dollars. I only had about 700 approx total. My account shows overdrawn -1768!! How can they do that? I never received ANY notice of this. I did...

View more questions Search