Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andydani Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2008, 11:24 PM
    Hot/Grd. Reverse when I tested my circuits with an analyzer
    I plugged a vacuum into a receptacle in my house. When it was plugged in it made a pop sound and everything within the circuits went out. I tried resetting all the breakers in my breaker box... I replace 4 of them so far and I cannot get any of the circuits back up and all the breakers that were working before are still fine. I bought an Ideal circuit analyzer and all the circuits on this line all show Hot/Grd. Reverse when I plug it in. Where do I go from here:confused: :mad: :(
    If you have any ideas I would be more than happy to try them.

Thank you, Ben Bohm
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2008, 02:33 AM
    Your post is a confusing, but I'll do the best I can.

Receptacles are daisy chained. Meaning there is power in and power out to the next receptacle.

Hot/Gnd reversed means that white is not connected to the chrome screw and black is not connected to the brass screw. Somewhere in the chain, the white and black wires are not connected properly.

i.e. the correct connections are:

What to chrome screw
    Blk to brass screw
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 27, 2008, 05:45 AM
    "Hot / Ground reversed" is a classic symptom of an open neutral on the circuit.

Go to every receptacle on this circuit and check the connections. If the wires are just stuck into the oles in the back, move them to the screws. Be sure to "loop" the wires and put them on the screws in a clockwise orientation. The end of the wire should look like an "r" when you put it on the screw.

Do this and you will find your problem. The only other things it could be are a bad neutral connection at the panel buss bar and/or a bad neutral splice somewhere. A bad connection at a receptacle is a more likely bet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan, reverse blade w/ no reverse on remote [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a house and 1 fan is in reverse. I can't find a switch on the fan and there's no reverse on the remote. This is a Hampton Bay fan. The remote says it's model: UC7083T. I also thought there must be a trick with the remote.

Not tested at all? [ 8 Answers ]

My niece and nephew are homeschooled by their mother. When baby #3 came in Nov. '06, they took a "2 month break" and are making up that work NOW. She said they'll be done in 6 more weeks, take a "2 week summer break" and then start the next grade. They do not take them to be tested for their...

Should I get tested [ 3 Answers ]

OK well I never did this before but thought I'd try and see what I get.ok I had my son aug 11.and I had my regular postpartum bleeding and everything.somtime in sept I started to spot.it was dark redish brown.and I saw that for a few days.and after that I did have sex.well it was the day that it...

I need to get an inmate tested [ 1 Answers ]

I just wanted to know if I would be able to get a paternity test done while the alleged father is in prison and if so what do I need to do

View more questions Search