Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    hopemelissa's Avatar
    hopemelissa Posts: 7, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 26, 2008, 09:17 PM
    Judgement in another state has frozen my bank account
    I posted a question about a judgement rendered against me in RI. I live in VA and have not been able to make any court appearances. After reading lots of these questions and answers, it looks like a lot of answers suggest going to the court. How do I handle this out of state? Who do I contact to stop the direct withdrawal of my funds? And how long are they able to take my money? My mortagage is due, gas is 3.50 a gallon, how do I pay my daycare? Where do I turn now.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,303, Reputation: 7692

    Apr 27, 2008, 07:15 AM
    1. Stop putting money into the account

    2. stop putting money into the account

    That solves all of those problems, the only way to stop the garnishment is to prove it is not owed, or you were not properly served notice.

    They will keep taking the money as long as you keep putting money into the bank account
    lawanwadee's Avatar
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

    Apr 27, 2008, 09:28 AM
    If you owed them money... If court order says you must pay...
    All you have to do it pay this sum.

    If you can't afford to pay the amount they take out, then contact them. You can negotiate for payment plan that is convenient for you.

    Stop putting money into the account won't help, moreover it will cause you more damage because you will be charged overdraft fee by your bank every time they try to take the money out, and this may lead to the point where your bank cancel your account.
    George_1950's Avatar
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

    Apr 27, 2008, 09:56 AM
    You should have received either or both: summons and affidavit of garnishment. If not, contact your bank and find out by what authority you cannot get your money, because you have not been notified by the creditor. If you have received such a document, it should indicate the case number and location of the court issuing the judgment. How about checking this out and let us know.
    hopemelissa's Avatar
    hopemelissa Posts: 7, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 27, 2008, 12:14 PM
    Thanks very much for all your answers. This is a great site and I have a feeling I will be utilizing this forum much in the future, as I have a lot of life changes on the horizon... divorce, credit issues, etc, etc. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Judgement w/out my knowledge & Frozen Bank Account [ 7 Answers ]

Help! Nine years ago, I had two credit cards with small limits ( $300 and $400 ), both with the same company. After some financial hardships, I stopped making payments and they got a judgement against me for almost $3000. I paid this judgement in 2000 and have not had a credit card since! ...

Judgement frozen bank account--and paying on [ 4 Answers ]

I had a judgement against me. I was paying monthly as agreed upon. Just recently the place of business froze all my accounts (including my child support account). I was not notified by the business nor was I notfied from the bank. Do I have any legal rights to sue or do anything else as I was...

Frozen bank account [ 1 Answers ]

My account has been frozen by capital one bank through Rubin and rothman. Last statement I received before the judgement was levied against me was that the debt was for $1302. The card was only a $1000.00 limit which I eached and then did not pay while I was going through a divorce. However on my...

Checking account frozen by creditor judgement [ 1 Answers ]

Without notice,my checking account was frozen and all money taken leaving 0 balance. I cannot buy food or medicine or hire an attorney. I see no way out and am thinking of becoming homeless or suicide.

Frozen Bank Account [ 7 Answers ]

My bank account was recently frozen because of an outstanding credit card balance. I live paycheck to paycheck, I called the bank and they just said an order was put through and that there was nothing they could do. I called the number the bank gave me for the company that got the judgement. I...

View more questions Search