Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhouse30 Posts: 306, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2008, 06:56 PM
    Anti reflector on glasses
    Fluorescent lights make my eyes turn red.

In your opinion, will the anti reflector or anti glare feature prevent my eyes from turning red.

Thanks in advance.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Apr 26, 2008, 06:58 PM
    An anti-reflective coating will help relieve the pain from glare from fluorescent lighting, so yes, I think it would be extremely beneficial to you.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2008, 07:59 PM
    Are you currently wearing glasses?

Fluorescent lights emit UV because of a little mercury in the tube. This excites phosphors that emit visible light.

Most fixtures have a plastic cover and plastic generally blocks UV. Most glasses are plastic and therefore most of the UV is blocked.

They also have a high intensity peak of light. Light output is not sinusoidal.

Wide spectrum light bulbs sometimes help people as well

If this is in conjunction with watching a TV or video monitor, then your eyes might be seeing flicker between the 120 Hz ( 2* 60) and the refresh rate of the monitor.

I'd see if the problem goes away by wearing polarized sunglasses first.
    Vision Expert

Apr 26, 2008, 08:08 PM
    Wearing polarized sunglasses indoors seems to me would cause other problems.

When someone is complaining of an issue like this, at any optical establishment they would be recommended to use an anti-reflective coating, and perhaps a light tint or a transitional lens.
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2008, 08:14 PM
    My intent was to not make it a permanent solution, but to have a cheap place to start. You can even get mirrored sunglasses which would act as an ersatz AR coating.

If glare does it, this could be useful information too.
    Vision Expert

Apr 26, 2008, 08:22 PM
    She didn't ask for "a cheap place to start", she asked if an anti-reflective coating would be beneficial to her.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 1, 2008, 04:29 PM
    I am allergic to fluorescent office lighting. I found that when I got the anti glare coating my headaches vanished as well as my eyes bothering me from that kind of lighting. They put the coating on when the glasses are made ideally. I don't know if they would be willing to coat existing glasses but you could ask. I did find that the transitions lenses were useless indoors to help with the fluorescent lighting problem and have stopped wearing them years ago.
    Vision Expert

May 1, 2008, 04:33 PM
    They won't coat an existing lens. But anti-reflective is highly effective for anyone that has to be under fluorescent lighting.
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2009, 08:32 PM

Mmmm. I had the AR removed and recoated for GLASS lenses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Glasses [ 9 Answers ]

In my right eye I'm farsighted.. and I'm going to the eye doctor soon.. and I no he's gonan tell me that this time I need glasses.. cause I went aobut a year ago and he said I didn't need glasses then.. but come back if its gotten worse.. I had 2 notes from my school to go to the eye doctor.. and...

I need glasses [ 7 Answers ]

I have no eyeglasses and cannot work without them hence no money for glasses how do I find financial help for my eyeglasses?:o

My PC need glasses ? [ 2 Answers ]

I have the hp pavilion and the hp psc 750 printer. We installed a cd rw, which started to slowly give me freeze ups at various times and caused numerous restarts. I have since gone back to the original cd rom pending further evaluation of rewritables. Now however my computer says it doesn't...

Need glasses [ 1 Answers ]

I already have a prescription for new glasses but on debility and am struggling with getting them. My theraptist told me to contact the Lyons club to see if you can help. I have glaucoma in both eyes , am starting to tell a difference in my sight... can you lead me to a help source ?

What's the best Anti Spyware and the best Anti Virus? [ 4 Answers ]

Just curious as to what works best for you? Take care, Happy Holidays to you and yours

View more questions Search