Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ronnieca1955 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2006, 01:09 PM
    Painting over dark colors
    I just bought a home and the old owners had one of the bedrooms painted this almost navy blue walls. How can I cover this in the basic navajo white without 20 coats?

Thank you
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2006, 01:15 PM
    Kilz primer will coat the dark color for a light color to be applied
    AmandaM Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2006, 06:32 PM
    Agreed, primer does the trick, though you still may have to put on an extra coat
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Mar 14, 2006, 10:33 AM
    As the others have stated, use a primer.

For primers, like for painting, it is better to put on two thin coats than a single thick coat.

Make sure the primer is a high hide style (Kilz, Behr Enamel Undercoater, etc)

Don't worry if it still looks a little dark after the primer is on, the paint will cover it.
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Mar 22, 2006, 07:50 PM
    I like Kilz, too.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2006, 09:12 PM
    Primers tend to have too much silicates to really hide. Look at the percent titanium dioxide, TiO2, listed on the label and buy the highest. ( May be Kilz.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gangs in the movie Colors [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know the full name of the Mexican gang in the movie colors? I need to know the number that is in their name. If someone could tell me that would be amazing it is driving me nuts because I can't find it anywhere.

E-mail colors messed up [ 3 Answers ]

I'm using 98SE--All the e-mails in my Yahoo account are highlighted in some dark blue color that is hard to read--The colors on the side where it says Inbox-Bulk-etc. are perfect--I have tried the 16 bit, and the 256 bit color change--that doesn't work--Also changed the colors in e-mail to a...

What is the best way to get rid of dark spots when painting [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently painted my bedroom blue. But when the paint dried, I noticed that I have some spots that are much darker then others. What is the best way to get rid of those? I have thought about painting over the dark spots with the original color of the wall... then going back over them...

Thermostat wire colors [ 3 Answers ]

I just removed my old mechanical thermostat. The wire colors were: W = white G = green R = ref Y = yellow O = Orange The rth230b has: W, Y, Rc, Rh, and G. I initially installed the Red in Rc, Y, W, and G. I did nothing with the O wire. When I turned the system on the thermostat started...

View more questions Search