Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    butterbar77 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Getting started in local government
    I am 30, married for 4 years, two kids (2yrs and 3 months; boy and girl respectively), and a new puppy. I have a Volvo wagon and a Toyota Sienna van. I just bought a 5 year old house with a large back yard in a middle-class, popular, well-known neighborhood in a small community which consists primarily of retired and military families. A life-long personal goal was to be an Officer in the military which I recently made come true thanks to our Army (which is desperate for Officers). So, I am following in the footsteps of my grandfather (dad's side) who was a Colonel, and turned down being a General during the Vietnam war. It is still hard for me to believe that I am living the American dream despite being deeply indebted to school loans, auto loans, credit cards, and a mortgage. I am not wealthy by any means. I have just learned how to play the systems games. (I hope I don't lose).

Not to paint a dreary picture (since I have this forboding sense of financial doom with over $300,000 in debt), but I am having a personal dilemma about my personal life and pending involvement in social politics (at the local levels). Would it be wise for me to get involved in the political arenas in my city and county governments while I have such deep indebtedness? And if I do step forward what do I need to be careful of?

Honestly, I am pretty naïve (and so is my wife). We are both very perceptive, but we were homeschooled growing up and were not exposed too much corruption. Sure we have been bad from time to time (sparing the details here), but for the most part I know that there are people who have the moral ineptitude to destroy the lives of competitors who stand up against them (by any means; which may happen when I choose to go against someone of the sort). I know there are politicians truly passionate about doing good, but there are just as many, in not more, who only care to advance themselves socially and financially.

Secondly, where do I start in my community if I want to go all the way? Where does someone start who grew up poor, no father (died of cancer when I was 5), very poor and living off the system, not the greatest speaker or salesman (I know it can be done, just look at our President)? I don't have the connections most young politicians have who grew up around other successful people. Basically, how would you recommend a nobody start in order to make it to the top (Zig Zigler reference :cool: ).

Thanks in advance for your input and I think it will help more people than you know (since I'm not the only one who will read your response). God bless!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2008, 10:43 AM
    I think you need to rethink things here. You will have to devote a huge amount of hours of your time to go out and campaign for any kind of local position. Are you able to devote that much time doing this? I had a friend who literally knocked on everyone's door in an entire county with his wife in tow - it took months to do. He won, by the way. Don't remember what he won, but he won. You don't just sign up to be a candidate and then sit back on your laurels waiting for people to vote for you. Plus you are going to have to have a war chest with lots and lots of money in it. Are you prepared to do this on zero input from you? If you are up to your eyeballs in debt, does it make any sense at this point in your life to take on more debt? Also, in case you didn't know it, a lot of local jobs that are elected pay a heck of a lot less than you are probably making at the present time. Are you prepared to give up your better paying job to be say mayor of the town and make half as much? Honey, I think you need to rethink this out more clearly and see more of the down side versus the "I'm gung ho to make a difference". The ultimate question here is "Can you afford it"?

Would suggest you make a terrific officer instead and be an inspiration to the people under you.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2008, 11:06 AM
    I like twinkie's answer (have to spread it around)! As a young officer in the Army, there are other things to do much more important than getting involved as a candidate in local politics. Find a candidate you like and try to help him. I don't see how your career as an officer will benefit by winning a local government race. Wouldn't it be more beneficial to earn a master's degree? And won't the Army pay for it? Plus, you have two small children; spend lots of time helping your wife and enjoying your kids. There is plenty of time for politics.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 29, 2008, 03:32 PM
    Yes, first I would be very very worried about my debt, it appears you are wanting to live a deam but don't care what you spend to do it.

Perhaps a second job to pay off bills, or seeing what all your debts are and have you over spent to have some unreal dream you have.

** there is no reason a young army officer should be that deep in debt.

Also what about transfer and moving, if elected will you be there in 4 years or 6 years.

But there is city council, or county commissioners, there is school board for local levels.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2008, 08:24 PM
    The United States Government is 9 TRILLION dollars in debt and they keep spending. I think you have the experience nessesary to be a great politician. Go for it Lt.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 06:21 AM
    Fr Chuck made an important point about transfers etc. Most likely you will not finish your career where you currently live so it doesn't t make much sense to become too committed to community leadership . You could start however by getting a sense of the community by attending local village /town /county meetings and perhaps getting involved in the local party /political organization of your choice.

Me ;I would prioritize my family and career over becoming involved in the community . Politics can wait. When you are out of the service you can be assured that if you chose to do so ,a successful political career awaits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding x-intercepts, local maximum, local minimum of graph [ 5 Answers ]

How do I find the x-intercepts, local maximums, and local minimums of this graph --> f(x)=1/9(x-3)^2(x+3)^2 using a graphing calculator?

Getting local weather [ 2 Answers ]

Wait a minute... my side bar for windows vista has a "weather forcast" but requires a zip code or something like "york,england" but it won't work and uk doesn't have a zip code so some one help me!!

Local profiles [ 3 Answers ]

Just wondering about what specifics, local profiles tie down either by using Deep Freeze after copying a specific profile to the default user, or by using the mandatory local profile. I am having some issues with default printers changing after freezing the local proflie. Are they included in a...

Local Disk [ 3 Answers ]

Dear All, I just want to ask, since I don't know what to do yesterday about my 2 local disk partition, I decided to re-install the OS, and delete all the local partition that I have. What's left to me is the C:\ drive, I lost the drive that has a 7.8 MB free space. Is there a way I can retrieve...

View more questions Search