Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pollysun Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 07:03 AM
    Frost in attic
    24 by 40 house on cement slab, twenty yrs old. Roof is well vented, (just added more vents) and two feet of insulation added on top of the original.
    Frost forms on inside of roof on north side. The north and east walls have frost with changes to water and leaks out onto floor close to N and E walls.
    The extra insulation seems to have helped, but frost still leaked down onto ceiling as soon as warm weather started.
    If heat from the house is going up and hitting the cold air and creating frost, how can I insulate the ceiling more?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2008, 09:01 AM
    You need to figure out where the cold air is coming in that makes the frost in the first place. You also need to figure out where to funnel away the water out of the attic. Not a quick or easy fix here. Sorry. I don't think that adding more insulation will solve your problem as it is the outside air coming into a warm attic causing the condensation problem.

Apr 27, 2008, 06:17 PM
    Thank you. I guess I assumed that the lack of heat and the neccesarry vents in the attic would create the cold air?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 27, 2008, 06:26 PM
    Where do you live? Two ft of insulation should be a pretty darn high R value, do you have a vapor barrier? You have some heated air leaking into the attic maybe from a trap door or bathroom exhaust fan. It is totally OK for the bottom of your roof to be freezing but there is too much heated, moist air getting in. What else might account for heated moist air?

May 1, 2008, 03:53 AM
    Northern Minnesota. Moist is the key word I guess. We hadn't realized. I finally got the right guy at a lumberyard here and he said our bathrooms and stove need to be vented outside. Not into the attic. We hadn't figured out it was the humidity not the heat.
    And you mentioned moist air also. We just thought heat, didn't think of the moist being the problem.
    We'lll vent the bathrooms and stove outside, and use dehumidifiers. They say there's an air exchanger we can use but that it's pretty expensive.

Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frost on interior walls [ 17 Answers ]

We've been in our home for nearly three years. Don't ask me how I've noticed this before but we actually get frost on a couple of areas of the downstairs walls. Also there is a lot of cold air moving around the bottom of the baseboards in the downstairs. Anyone know causes and solutions for...

Frost on the inside [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question Id like to see if anyone can help me with before I call a service tech. On the inside of my A/C unit where it meets up with the furnace I have a lot of frost build up on the copper lines. I am new to the central air and have always had swamp coolers. I changed the filter and...

Protection from frost heave [ 1 Answers ]

Could someone explain frost heave for me? I have an attached, unheated garage, with footers that are 24" wide and 24" deep, which I understand to be below the frost line for this part of the country. The concrete garage floor is tied to the foundation with rebar. Does this protect my garage...

Frost bite [ 1 Answers ]

Why does frost bite become black and seem like a burn(electric, black n singed)... with the blisters as well?:confused:

Frost removal [ 1 Answers ]

I accidentally washed part of the sandy/frosting stuff off the globes from our overhead light fixtures. I was able to completely remove it from one of them but the other two are being more stubborn. What might I use to more easliy remove this stuff from the others?

View more questions Search