Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Giantfan13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Oil or gas
    We just finished an extremely high cost heating season. I have a VERY old oil burner, and it really needs to be replaced. My question is should I stay with oil or convert to gas. I already have gas in my house as a cooking fuel and to power my hot water heater. I wouldn't mind converting, but my research just yields two completely different schools of thought. Oil people love oil, and gas people, well visa versa. I need some honest opinions. I live on Long Island, New York. Oil is now selling for over $4.00 a gallon, but will gas be any cheaper? Help
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 23, 2008, 07:25 PM
    The only honest opinion you can get is to do your own research.

You need to compare the cost of oil and LP gas in your area then pick the furnace for both LP and oil and get the efficiency numbers. Using standard arithmetic you can then see which one is the cheapest to heat with.

That is the only real way to choose since your are concerned about heating cost. Naturally we are all aware that the prices can and will change over time so 5 years from now the costs may change in favor of the other fuel you did not pick.

You need to think about getting a heat pump. It will serve as a A/C unit and also the first stage of heat. Heat pumps are a big energy saver and it will lower your bill. You can then choose gas or oil or electric furnace to round out your install. Good luck with your discission.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search