Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sensitive092 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 07:17 PM
    Confronting boyfriend about pain killers addiciton
    My boyfriend and I have only been together for a little over 4 months now. And I knew that he was addicted to pain killers before I ever got serious with him, but I also never knew how bad he was on them. So as time progressed I realized he was taking up to 3-4 pain killers a day. In his past he was addicted to Oxycodone after he had to have surgery on his face. Luckily enough he got off that, but moved to a different kind of pain killer. He says he's been addicted to them for many years now. And since we've been together he has tried the Suboxone twice, and stayed off the pain killers for almost a week each time. But during the time's he'd been off them he would have to take a nerve pill(I don't know why). Now I don't know much about any type of drug really, nor do I want to. I don't like them, and normally I wouldn't even associate with people that do them everyday. Because my sister was real bad on nerve and pain pills, she was so bad that she wouldn't even stop when she became pregnant with my nephew. My sister passed away 8 years ago, by accidentally mixing oxycodone and lorazopan, she was only 19. So, he knows how I feel about the drugs, he knows that is what happened to my sister. And his family just seems like it is okay for him to be doing this. One family member actually calls him to see if he is okay, and has all the pain pills he needs to get through the day. He is also very moody when he does them, and he doesn't see that and will argue with me that it isn't the pain pills making him that way. His pain pill addiction is starting to have a horrible affect on my emotional well-being now days, I am not happy anymore because all I can do is worry about him. So yea, I need help. I don't really even know how to go about telling him how I feel about his drug habit, so we could go to the next step to see if he would want some better help than the suboxone. And please know I am not a very outspoken person at all, and I am also so scared to talk about this to him. I don't want him to hate me or think that I am trying to change or control him in no way. I don't know what to do. I want to help him, I want him to be the person he has potential of being.
    crjslick50 Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Apr 21, 2008, 07:43 PM
    Besides the fact he takes 3 or 4 pills a day and you do not want to be around prescription drug users is there anything else that is a problem? More info, is he spending mad money, pawning his and your valuables, unable to hold a job etc... because if the issue is just him taking pain pills than I would say that your wrong..
    sensitive092 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 07:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crjslick50
    Besides the fact he takes 3 or 4 pills a day and you do not want to be around prescription drug users is there anything else that is a problem? More info, is he spending mad money, pawning his and your valuables, unable to hold a job etc.... because if the issue is just him taking pain pills than I would say that your wrong..
    Well, yea he is spending money he doesn't have and he doesn't want to work. Not really that he can't hold down a job, he just chooses not to work. And how would I be wrong anyway? Am I wrong to see someone I care about do good for themsef instead of ending up with nothing in life? Doesn't matter if he was taking less than what he does, he is still abusing the drug. And that isn't good.
    kolenovic Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 08:01 PM
    You should talk to him.if you love him then try to help him. Saying nothing is not going to solve the problem. Because being on pain killers is very hard to get off once you are addicted
    crjslick50 Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Apr 21, 2008, 08:52 PM
    I see, maybe an intervention. If he was unable to do it with subutex than he will certainly need family support and rehab but he has to want it or nothing will last I assure you. Good luck..
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2008, 12:37 PM
    A four month relationship and he has very serious problems??

Girl, all you have to say is goodbye. Don't continue to relive the familiar over and over and over... a person close to you being a druggie.

Life is very short; don't shortchange yourself. Allow yourself happiness and pleasure and figure out how to get it.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2008, 06:09 PM
    Apparently he is not getting his drugs from a dr as no dr in their right mind would prescribe that many in one day. Then he must be purchasing them on the street at exorbitent prices. He's going to go through his money and then your money. Not holding a job is a good indication that he is totally out of it. You are not going to like yourself if in the future you are using your money to placate him when he is craving these drugs. The drug he is using is another form of heroin whether you know it or not. Ask yourself a question. Would you contribute your emotions and energy to a heroin addict?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 4, 2008, 10:25 AM
    I don't know what to do. I want to help him,
    The best way to help him, is by not tolerating this behavior, and leaving him alone, as addicted people will only change if they want to. Losing a love one may be enough motivation, maybe not. But you'll avoid being dragged through his problems with him.
    yvette516 Posts: 43, Reputation: 2

Jun 14, 2008, 10:27 PM
    Run away now... don't walk. It will be one of the best decisions you ever make. Trust me, I've been there and I'm there now again. 3-4 pils a day is a lot but it will increase to be 10-20 pills a day. Then possibly to heroin ( which is what my husband is addicted to) Pain pills are opiates... and so is heroin. Go on the internet and Google opiate addiction. You can learn a lot from the web. Since you've only been in this relationship for 4 months... PLEASE move on... you don't need this in your life believe me. You can't help him either. He can only help himself ( when and if he is ready).
    hopeandaplan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2011, 12:21 PM
    If you love him then tell him that you have a plan and will stand by him to get this right. Give him the rules then let him make the discission either you come off the pills or the relationship is over. Tell him how much you love him and only want the best and the drugs are just covering up and will cause more problems down the road. Set your rules 1.You take charge of the pills he must turn them over to you. The first week just give him one less each day if he was taking for a day make it 3 a day for a week next week 2 to 3 a day every other day maybe. Next week only 2 this will be the 3rd week of getting them off. Last week 2 and 1. He should know the plan and this is what is going to happen. Give him rub downs, accupunture is very good for them too while they are going through this. Make him go to AA this is a must. Church have him get close to GOD gives them something to do and just maybe they will believe. Tell him to do it for the family and this is for 30 days after the 30 days he will need more support from you do not let him have any drugs. After 90 days he is so glad to have his body back and mind. He has to agree to this or just walk away because this life is not a good one. Go through the pain just once your body has to figure out what to do again. You only have one body and mind take care of it. The doctors don't care about you if they are giving you the pills. Appricate the small things in life enjoy life without drugs. Wish the doctors were put in jail for giving out more than one prescription for any addictive drug.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grass and weed killers [ 10 Answers ]

If I spray grass and weed killer around the base of my plants and bushes, Will it kill the plants and bushes too?

Killers on their knees [ 40 Answers ]

Hello Christians: An 11-year-old Wisconsin girl grew deathly ill recently while her parents prayed for her recovery. They weren't in a hospital. They weren't in an emergency room. They were in their home. Although the girl had probably, for at least a month, shown symptoms such vomiting, nausea...

Pain killers [ 1 Answers ]

How long do pain killers stay in your system?

How long do pain killers stay in your system? [ 6 Answers ]

I am needing to know how long Lortabs and Percocets stay in your system.

View more questions Search