Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    curious_wife Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Is this true
    Hi,

My partner smokes pot and we are trying to conceive, I have heard through the great vine that smoking pot may cause you to 'shoot blanks' is this correct?:)
    Izannah Posts: 125, Reputation: 18

Apr 21, 2008, 07:13 PM
    Found this...

The findings showed that both the volume of seminal fluid and the total number of sperm from marijuana smokers were significantly less than for the control group of fertile men. They also found significant differences in HA and velocity, both before and after washing. It is believed that an active ingredient in marijuana - tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) - could be causing these changes.

"The sperm from marijuana smokers were moving too fast too early," explained lead researcher, Dr. Lani J Burkman. "The timing was all wrong. These sperm will experience burnout before they reach the egg and would not be capable of fertilisation."

"We don't know exactly what is happening to change sperm functioning," she said, "but we think it is one of two things: THC may be causing improper timing of sperm function by direct stimulation, or it may be bypassing natural inhibition mechanisms … The bottom line is, the active ingredients in marijuana are doing something to sperm, and the numbers are in the direction towards infertility."

Dr. Burkman admitted that many men who do smoke marijuana have fathered children, but said, "The men who are most affected are likely to have naturally occurring borderline fertility potential, and THC from marijuana may push them over the edge into infertility."

... it's from Effects of marijuana and coffee on male fertility, sperm motility

And there's Effects of Marijuana on Sperm Motility ; Seattle Washington WA
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2008, 07:28 PM
    Yes, That is correct.
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Apr 21, 2008, 08:10 PM
    Hahah it's grape vine isn't it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 21, 2008, 08:15 PM
    Well maybe not "blanks" just a lot lower caliber. So it makes it harder but not impossible.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2008, 08:30 PM
    Any kind of drugs can also effect the health of the sperm so that would also effect the viability of the fetus.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 21, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Why would you want to have a baby with a pot smoker, it won't be good for the baby once it is here. He should quit, not because of the fact that your chances of getting pregnant are reduced but because he should be a mature adult before considering becoming a parent. Yikes.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Apr 22, 2008, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Any kind of drugs can also effect the health of the sperm so that would also effect the viability of the fetus.
    Exactly. His smoking habits may very well mean damaged sperm which can affect the health of your fetus and if you can carry it to term.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

True or Not True about Breast Cancer and plastic bottle water in left a car [ 8 Answers ]

I had this conversation with one of my co-works today regarding Breast Cancer. She told me that you women can get breast cancer by bottle water left in a car. I don't believe it. Is there anyone who can answer this question please?

What is true/not true about linked genes? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to clarify concepts in genetics about linked genes. I know that linked genes are located on the same chromosome and they always segregated together during meiosis and always separate during crossing over, right? And is the recombination frequency actually reprsent the distance between...

Is It True? [ 11 Answers ]

So they say that if you sleep with a guy on the first date he will not come back is this fact or fiction ?:rolleyes:

Is it true? [ 2 Answers ]

Lately I have a question on my mind... I think that love usually knock on your door only then you less expecting this... isn't it? I think its true. I think it is not that important to be loved by someone and I don't want to be with anyone unless I am in love, but now after my heart was broken I...

Is it true [ 1 Answers ]

I went on holiday when I was 16 to the canary islands, when I was there I made friends with a scotish lady who was maybe in her late 40's, She started talking about strange things that no one would have known. The first thing strange that she said was 'you don't live with your parents do u' I said...

View more questions Search