Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vm1960 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Crown lengthening
    I just left my cosmetic dentist office with my chin hitting the floor for how much some restorative work was going to cost. We discussed crown lengthening since my teeth are a tad bit short to make them look better. Two days later I got a revised quote for the lengthening added on at the tune of $750 per tooth. I realize now that this is surgery but what should I expect to be charged for something like that and are there other choices for me.:confused: This is adding 3,000 dollars to a quote that I thought was already a bit expensive but I thought the doctor was very experienced and knew what he was doing.

After reading some of the comments here I feel like that he was at least up front with what he wanted to do and didn't try to leave anything out during our consultation. Except of course for the cost of the lengthening. He assistant left that info out since she was the one quoting me all the prices. It is a shame that there are just enough unscrupulous dentists out there that it is hard to tell the difference between the good and the bad. Does anyone know how to really tell and does anyone know a good cosmetic Dentist in Arlington VA area?

Any ideas? Or comments?

V
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2008, 06:22 PM
    The best thing to do is ask your friends, co-workers, neighbours, etc. You can also check on RateMDs.com | Doctor ratings and reviews to see what kind of comments, if any, have been left about the dentist you saw or any that are recommended.

Keep in mind, you often get what you pay for and the cheapest is not always the best.

Apr 19, 2008, 10:29 AM
    Thanks flossie, I agree that you get what you pay for. Sometimes you pay allot for a little too. I did use the link that you included and found that he was rated the top costemic dentist in Northern Virginia. I know that I will be glad that I spent the money once this long process is over especially after looking at some recent pictures that reminded me how much better my smile could look. The smile is just something that you can't cover up and I spent way too many years afraid to smile because of my teeth. Thanks! It's time to suck it up and just do it I guess.
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2008, 01:05 PM
    I am sure that you will be very pleased with the results. Even being in the dental profession I sometimes question the fees that are quoted! I should have become a dentist!:D

Apr 20, 2008, 07:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vm1960
    I just left my cosmetic dentist office with my chin hitting the floor for how much some restorative work was going to cost. We discussed crown lengthening since my teeth are a tad bit short to make them look better. Two days later I got a revised quote for the lengthening added on at the tune of $750 per tooth. I realize now that this is surgery but what should I expect to be charged for something like that and are there other choices for me.:confused: This is adding 3,000 dollars to a quote that I thought was already a bit expensive but I thought the doctor was very experienced and knew what he was doing.

After reading some of the comments here I feel like that he was at least up front with what he wanted to do and didn't try to leave anything out during our consultation. Except of course for the cost of the lengthening. He assistant left that info out since she was the one quoting me all the prices. It is a shame that there are just enough unscrupulous dentists out there that it is hard to tell the difference between the good and the bad. Does anyone know how to really tell and does anyone know a good cosmetic Dentist in Arlington VA area?

Any ideas? or comments?

V
    Flossie,

I was just reading about gum contouring. Crown lengthening is for when they have to make more of the tooth or bone available for a crown. The reason they were going to do mine was because my teeth are too short for my liking. Gum contouring seems to be a lot less invasive than crown lengthening and should be less expensive since they are not do any work on the bone. Of course we haven't done the exrays yet so it may be a different story once we see those but so youi know if there is a huge difference between the two?

Thanks for your help!

Vickie
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2008, 09:49 AM
    Vickie,

I don't know how your dentist could give you an estimate without doing all the preliminary records first. He should have taken x-rays, taken study models and provide you with a wax up to show you what you will look like once treatment is complete.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Crown Lengthening Necessary? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a tooth that is stable on three sides with a deep cavity. The tooth just had a substantial root canal and it is time for a crown. I have been told by the dentist and the periodontist in the same practice that a crown lengthening is necessary. This is a molar and has plenty of usable tooth...

Crown lengthening [ 3 Answers ]

I was told be a periodontist that I needed crown lengthening to save my molar. This is a $1400 procedure. Has anyone ever had this done? Also do you still need to get a root canal once the crown lengthening is performed or do you just go back for the crown? Because $1400 is a lot of money...

Crown lengthening necessary? [ 23 Answers ]

I had a root canal on Fri and went back to the dentist on Mon for a temp crown and fitting for a permanent crown. The dentist took out the temp crown that the endodontist had used and grinded away most of my tooth. After that, she drew me a diagram, told me that I needed a crown lengthening and...

View more questions Search