Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    quasae16 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 07:43 AM
    Pay taxes on lump sum
    I rolled over my pension to an IRA in which I know wasn't taxable. Later in the year I took out a lump sum amount. I live in NY. I am over 65. Do I have to pay federal and state taxes on that money?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Yes, withdrawal from IRA (except Roth IRA) is taxable income.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 08:06 AM
    Yes - this is taxable income to you, so you do have to pay federal and state income tax. You should have received a 1099-R from the IRA administrator showing the amount of your distribution - you report this amount on line 15 of form 1040. If they withheld any taxes from the distribution you show that on line 64.
    sbj98d Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2012, 09:13 PM
    My dad is going to give me about $25,000. I do not want it to be taxable income. Where can I put it to avoid this? I am 62 and still working. Can I put into an IRA?
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Aug 29, 2012, 09:23 PM
    sbj98d: If this is a gift, it would not be taxable to you.
    However, your dad might have to file a gift tax return on form 709 as the gift is over the $13,000 limit. He won't have to pay taxes on it if his gifts to you are below the life time gift limit (I believe it's 5 million)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 30, 2012, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sbj98d View Post
    I am 62 and still working. Can I put into an IRA?
    As TfA pointed out already, this gift is not taxable to you. But yes, you can put some into an IRA, although the max contribution limit is $6K in any one calendar year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on retirement lump sum moved to Mutual fund [ 10 Answers ]

I took the lump sum when I retired and put it in a mutual fund. I had to pay taxes on the entire amount. Now, if I remove this money from the mutual fund, will I have to pay tax on it? I hope that is enough to answer my quesiton.

Early Withdraw - 401K Taxes Paid vs. Taxes Owe [ 7 Answers ]

Last year I took a early withdraw from my 401k last year after leaving my job. I had 30% withheld for Fed. Taxes. I am getting ready to have my taxes prepared. I have several questions. 1. Was 30% enough? Does 10% penalty still apply? 2. I live in the state of IL. Will I owe state taxes? ...

Estate taxes and gift taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I am the sole heir and executor of my late step Dad's estate. I sold the house as is for 155,000.00 and there waere two accounts totaling 20,000.00 plus two CDs totaling $8,000.00. Do I pay taxes on this? The estate tax is in IL and I live in CO. Also, if I give my brother and sister each...

I did not file my taxes but had taxes taken out of my check [ 14 Answers ]

I'm kind of worried here... I don't know why I didn't, but it is what it is. I just didn't file my taxes for 2005 and 2006. I also worked for a company in 2004 that paid me in personal buisiness checks that I would cash at citibanks, etc. but they never had me fill out any paperwork and never...

Filing for 2004 taxes and 2005 taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just received my W2 from my employer and there were 2 W2's. One W2 was for the wages of Dec 2004 (since the employer pays 1 month delayed salary) and the other one was for Jan - Nov 2005. I want to know if I can refile my 2004 taxes since I just got my Dec 2004's W2. If I add that...

View more questions Search