Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbar62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2006, 09:05 AM
    Kitchen Sink Noise Hot Water
    When I turn on the hot water at my kitchen sink, it makes a noise after the pipe heats up (about 10 seconds). The cold water tap doesn't make a noise. What could this be?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 14, 2006, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mbar62
    When I turn on the hot water at my kitchen sink, it makes a noise after the pipe heats up (about 10 seconds). The cold water tap doesn't make a noise. What could this be?

As the hot water heats up the branch line the pipe expands against the pipe strap and the stud. You'll hear a tapping or a rapping noise from inside the wall. As the pipe cools down it contracts making the same sound. The only way to stop this is to shim the pipes after you open up the drywall. To most people this simply isn't worth the hassle. But Hey! I just took the mystery out of the noise didn't I? Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No cold water from kitchen sink [ 4 Answers ]

Any help is appreciated in advance. Before I call the plumber because I'm a plumbing novice. I thought I would search the internet and see what I can find out. For some reason today my the cold water faucet in my kitchen sink is no longer working. The hot water flows just fine, but not the...

Low Hot Water Pressure in Kitchen Sink [ 10 Answers ]

Recently the hot water pressure has gone down only in our kitchensink. A day or two earlier, ew had to turn our water off for some unrelated plumbing work, and when we turned it back on, the hot water pressure was significantly lower, but only in the kitchen (the bathroom tubs and sinks all have...

Low water pressure at kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: recently took kitchen sink out to replace coutertop, the water pressure has been low in kitchen sink ever since. Have checked for foreign objects in line. Dishwasher seems to be working fine.

No hot water in kitchen sink or dishwasher [ 3 Answers ]

There is no hot water in the kitchen sink. If you let it flow on high for a few minutes, it gets tepid. I have felt the water in the dishwasher in the middle of a cycle and it is cold. The hot water is fine in the 3 bathrooms. We have tried flushing the hot water heater, but that did not help. Any...

Little water pressure in the kitchen sink [ 5 Answers ]

I have lttle to no pressure when I turn on the water in the kitchen sink. The cold it really strong. I am clueless and don't know what to do. Please help! :(

View more questions Search