Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sharon MN Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 06:13 PM
    Leak in bathrooms
    I was washing clothes and noticed a bubbling sound coming from the master bathroom. I noticed water standing around the bottom of the toilet all over the floor. I then noticed standing water in my shower about 1 and 1/2 inches deep. When I shut off the water to the toilet it seemed to start to come up the shower drain.
    I went to the other bathroom and water had obviously come from the bottom of the toilet too. Then was no water in the tub.
    I shut off the washing machine and then I went to the main shut off valve outside my house and the water went down the master shower drain. I then went back out and turned it back on and the water is "not" coming back up (yet).
    I am on city water and not a septic tank. I called a neighbor to see if they had any problems and they said no. Any clue what the problem could be?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 15, 2008, 06:28 PM
    You main drain line in the house is becoming increasingly clogged. Your washer pushes out a lot of water very fast and its just too much for your partially clogged drain. You will need to rod your drain, is there a clean out somewhere? Do you know hat a clean out looks like?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 15, 2008, 06:33 PM
    It appears that you have a blocked drain or almost blocked drain. I am assuming that the washer and both baths are on the same level. The water from the washer could not drain out fast enough so it backed up into the shower and came out from underneath the toilets. It should not have come out from underneath the toilets. Toilets have a wax seal between the toilet itself and the drain pipe in the floor.

You should have the main drain snake out to remove the blockage and have the toilets pulled and new wax rings or seals installed.

Apr 15, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Harold, see what I mean about great minds?

Apr 15, 2008, 06:37 PM
    I am not sure where the main clean out is. Does it look like a big PVC pipe?

Apr 15, 2008, 06:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    It appears that you have a blocked drain or almost blocked drain. I am assuming that the washer and both baths are on the same level. The water from the washer could not drain out fast enough so it backed up into the shower and came out from underneath the toilets. It should not have come out from underneath the toilets. Toilets have a wax seal between the toilet itself and the drain pipe in the floor.

You should have the main drain snake out to remove the blockage and have the toilets pulled and new wax rings or seals installed.

This is the first time I am using Ask Me and not sure how the heck to answer you. I will try it this way...
    Thanks for the help to both of you and I suppose this is something that a Rooter roter can do... is that correct?

Apr 15, 2008, 06:40 PM
    Yep Sharon you are on the right track. Big white pipe the size of a coffee can. The clean out sticks out from the pipe, sometimes at an angle, with a plastic cap with a 4 sided nut like thing. That's where you will do your rodding with at least a 1/2" rod. Don't remove the cap until you are ready to rod and we'll make a tiny test hole so you don't get your shoes wet. You are using the site just fine.

Apr 15, 2008, 06:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Yep Sharon you are on the right track. Big white pipe the size of a coffee can. The clean out sticks out from the pipe, sometimes at an angle, with a plastic cap with a 4 sided nut like thing. Thats where you will do your rodding with at least a 1/2" rod. Don't remove the cap until you are ready to rod and we'll make a tiny test hole so you don't get your shoes wet. You are using the site just fine.

Boy is this site awesome. I can't believe someone actually helped me out this quickly. I really appreciate the quick responses.

I think I will have someone do the job if it's not too expensive. I left my millions, LOL in my Swiss bank account.

Again, thanks
    Sharon

Apr 15, 2008, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    You main drain line in the house is becoming increasingly clogged. Your washer pushes out a lot of water very fast and its just too much for your partially clogged drain. You will need to rod your drain, is there a clean out somewhere? Do you know hat a clean out looks like?

Thank you also for your help. I meant to tell both of you that I am a professional photographer and if you ever have a question I can help you with please just ask me.
    Sharon

Apr 15, 2008, 06:53 PM
    The pros may charge $150 or there about. Rodding a main that may have standing water in it isn't for the faint of heart, it might not be just water in there.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Sharon:

You might appreciate this one. "I'm working on my second million. The first one was too hard".

I hope you got it fixed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Leak and toilet leak in different bathrooms [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Leak 1. Last week I noticed a water stain in my ceiling below my shower. The stain is about 1 foot to the left of where the drain would be. The stain on my ceiling is in the shape of an "L" . Leak 2. I hope this is unrealated to Leak 1. There is a stain on my ceiling which I...

Bathrooms shower leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 bathrooms only separated by a wall. It is on a slab. Now when we run either shower the water comes up from the floor between the floor and wall. It is like a flood. I thought it was the connection between the shower head and wall that I need to recaulk it. But in one shower we have a hand...

Upstairs leak from bathrooms [ 2 Answers ]

I've got an upstairs leak emitting from both bathrooms whenever the tubs are used... and seemingly when the toilets are used, also (if that's possible?). I'm also concerned about some loud popping noises that seem to be coming from the waste pipes... and sometimes a 'howling' noise... this could...

Help with Stacked Bathrooms [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I live in an 800 square foot slab on grade home with 1 bathroom. I am adding a second story and including a bathroom and laundry room on the second floor. I positioned the bathroom by the main stack and the laundry further away. I intended for the toilet, sink, and tub and washing...

Two Bathrooms [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to install a second bathroom and want two showers to work at the same time. I am replacing all plumbing but there is only 15mm feed to flat. What type of boiler etc is needed to run two showers and washing machine at the same time?

View more questions Search