Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tax_learning Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 01:02 PM
    High Percentage of Medicare & SSN Tax
    In my current paycheck I noticed that, the amount of medicare and SSN tax that got deducted from my taxable wage is little higher. I know that the SSN tax percentage is 6.2% of the taxable income and medicare is 1.45% of the taxable income. I have also heard that these are not refundable while filing taxes and that only federal and state taxes are refundable. So do I need to inform my employer on this high percentage of Medicare and SSN tax withheld from my wages? Kindly advise.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 15, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Remember that the wages that SSN and Medicare are calculated on is a different amount than "federal wages." Specifically, if you contribute to a 401(k) plan that money is not included in your federal wages for calculating income tax, but is included in your "FICA pay" for calculating SS and Medicare taxes. Also if your employer provides group term life insurance it's possible that a portion of the value of that insurance is subject to SS and medicare tax. If you don't think the numbers are right I suggest you ask your payroll department for an explanation.

Not sure what you mean by federal and state income taxes being "refundable" - what do you mean?
    Tax_learning Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    Remember that the wages that SSN and Medicare are calculated on is a different amount than "federal wages." Specifically, if you contribute to a 401(k) plan that money is not included in your federal wages for calculating income tax, but is included in your "FICA pay" for calculating SS and Medicare taxes. Also if your employer provides group term life insurance it's possible that a portion of the value of that insurance is subject to SS and medicare tax. If you don't think the numbers are right I suggest you ask your payroll department for an explanation.

Not sure what you mean by federal and state income taxes being "refundable" - what do you mean?

Thanks a lot for your reply. You are right, I checked and my 401 K plan contribution amount is also taken into consideration which calculating FICA taxes. This was the first time that I started contributing to 401 K plan. BTW, what I meant by "state and federal taxes' as refundable was nothing but getting the tax refund with filing the taxes. I am afraid I didn't use the word correctly ;-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes percentage [ 1 Answers ]

What % of taxes do you get back?

Percentage Problems [ 4 Answers ]

Its been along time since Ive had to do a percentage word problem. :mad: the question is... What percent of Samantha's earnings is withheld for taxes? (She receives a check for $75 after working 15 hours at $6.00 oer hour.) I don't need an answer I just need to know how to set it up.....

Finding Percentage [ 3 Answers ]

I am selling a product for $ 3.38 , which cost me $ 3.12. What formula will tell me at what percentage I am selling this for.

Percentage of group [ 3 Answers ]

if 10% of a group of people (number of people don't matter) has 1 thing in common and 11% of the same group of people has a different thing in common - what percent of the group has both things in common to sum it up - 10% has 1 thing in common 11% has 1 thing in common ...

View more questions Search