Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mpalmer22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2008, 12:51 PM
    Mailman Parking lot Accident
    Hello,

I was backing out of a parking spot, and hit a mini-van from the USPS. I was about 70% out of the spot when the accident happened, they called the police, but then no one showed after about an hour and we left after exchanging information. Since I was significantly out of the spot, I don't believe this was entirely my fault, and should bear the entirety of repairs to their vehicle (there was virtually no damage to my truck). They have sent me a letter saying they want me to pay or they are going to contact my insurance company. I don't want them to do that, since it might make my rates go up. Any thoughts? Should I try and fight so I don't have to pay all of it, and what would be the best way? Thanks.

Mike
    CluesslySmart Posts: 5, Reputation: -1
    -

Apr 14, 2008, 01:07 PM
    You should definitley try to fight it, man. But be clever about it. Or exactly what you fear could happen. Your insurance company could be contacted. Also, if you just pay it off and let them get away with it they will feel like they have power and do it again most likely and think of all the other innocent people out there who will be wronged. I agree with you that it is not entirley your fault. Also, you need to do a follow-up. The police can't just not show and get away with it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2008, 01:34 PM
    [QUOTE=Mpalmer22]Hello,

I was backing out of a parking spot, and hit a mini-van from the USPS. I was about 70% out of the spot when the accident happened, they called the police, but then no one showed after about an hour and we left after exchanging information. Since I was significantly out of the spot, I don't believe this was entirely my fault, and should bear the entirety of repairs to their vehicle (there was virtually no damage to my truck). They have sent me a letter saying they want me to pay or they are going to contact my insurance company. I don't want them to do that, since it might make my rates go up. Any thoughts? Should I try and fight so I don't have to pay all of it, and what would be the best way? Thanks.

What State? There might be some comparable negligence here. From my experience if they hit you when you were 70% out of the spot - which would be your front door - unless you were speeding backwards they have some negligence.

How much damage was there to the mail vehicle? Your insurance policy "probably" requires you to report all accidents. If don't and you don't pay and then the Post Office contacts your insurance carrier they can deny the claim for failure to timely report... and then they'll know you were in an accident and you'll have to pay it all yourself.

Not unusual for the Police not to show, particularly if they are busy or on another call and no cruiser is available.
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2008, 04:46 AM
    CluesslySmart disagrees: you .

What does this mean and why did I get a red mark? You were legally incorrect.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 15, 2008, 04:38 PM
    They have full rights to contact your insurance company and file a report with them. There is no way to stop them from contacting them if they want to.

You can fight them as for as paying them. But they have a right to file a claim with your insurance company,
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2008, 06:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CluesslySmart
    U r dumb. Dats wat it means.

And little girls should not be posting on adult boards.

They should be in school, learning how to spell and speak in full sentences.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parking lot Auto accident [ 7 Answers ]

The incident happened at the parking lot of my apartment complex near the leasing office on October 12th 2007. A driver backed up her car and hit my car on the side. We called the police department and the police officer found the damage to be less than $1000 and asked us to exchange the insurance...

Parking lot accident [ 20 Answers ]

I recently bumped into another vehicle that was also backing out at the same time across the aisle in a mall parking lot. I was driving a black Mercedes sports coup and she was driving a large white SUV. When we got out to examine the bumpers there was a very slight amount of black paint on her...

Parking lot accident [ 4 Answers ]

I live in an apartment complex that has marked parking spaces for the tenants. Today I took my significant other to work, came back, and since the parking spaces right by my apartment were full, I parked parallel to the garages (perpendicular to the parking spaces) because I was going to make a...

Parking Lot Accident [ 2 Answers ]

My step-daughter hit a parked car in the parking lot at her high school. The owner of the other car said it was no big deal and they parted ways. Late the same evening, the parent of the teenager called to threaten us with the police. What do I do?

View more questions Search